Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha bass information wanted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xtopher, Mar 21, 2004.

1. xtopher

xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
  2. Congrats. The late 70s through late 80s Japan made BB Yamahas are some of the better production basses ever made. Supposedly designed with input from Bunny Brunnel and Lelan Sklar, they feature very high quality wood and workmanship. I own 3 of them.

What's the layout on your bass? Bolt-on neck with reversed P style pickup?

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I've owned one for about twenty years. When I first started using it, I thought the sound left a bit to be desired so I replaced the stock pickup with a Duncan that improved things a bit. I was never really satisfied with the sound that I got out of it. I set it aside after I purchased a BX-1 but recently I took it out to jam and I was surprised by the tone I was able to achieve with it (even with very old strings). Best described as a warm P-bass tone. So in retrospect I'd say that the bass wasn't the problem--perhaps my ears needed to be cleaned out.. :)

4. xtopher

xtopher

Oct 13, 2002

Yes, it's bolt on with reverse p-style pickup, its a lined fretless black with a very heavy bridge, in fact the whole bass is heavy.

I was considering replacing the pickup — not probably for any good reason, what's your opinion of the stock pickup?

Chris

5. I had one for ~ten years, sold it just few weeks ago. It was a solid instrument with good tone, but I never really got into this whole fretless thing - it was just collecting dust. The previous owner had installed a Jackson J-pickup, which was pretty horrible, but the original P was fine IMO.

BTW, I actually made pretty good profit when I sold it. I think people are starting to appreciate certain older Japanese instruments for what they are - well made, reliable workhorses. When I originally bought the thing all Japanese basses were just considered "cheap".

6. Yeah, they are heavy, you need a good wide strap or "comfort strapp".

I find the original pu smooth, and little honky in in the mids. Nice thick sound out of the D and G strings. Great for sitting in the mix with blues, gospel, R&B, country etc. IMO, they need ss roundwounds to cut a little bit. I replaced the pickups in two out of three of my old yama's (went with EMGs) to give me a little more versatility.

7. xtopher

xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    I was considering Duncan Antiquity II — any thoughts on those?

thanks

Chris