Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha basses: any opinions please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, May 4, 2001.

1. On another thread, Winston mentioned the 80s BB series Yam basses and how good he thought they were.

Any views on that, please, and any views on Yam basses in general or specifically.

Really would like a J but might look to buy second user Yam instead.

Thoughts guys, please?

Rockin John

2. Hi Bassheavy.

Not really sure what a row of dollar signs means. Do I take it that you're not a Yamaha fan?

I was just loking at you pics. Superb collection of basses, Bassheavy. Really nice.

John

3. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I used to have an older Yamaha BB3000, and really liked it, but I had always wanted a Fender Jazz, and as soon as I could afford it, that's what I went after. I have just always been a fan of the Jbass sound, and the neck is much easier for my small hands. No problems with the Yamaha bass after replacing the pickups (I don't know what they are like now, but the old p/ups were a little lacking IMO). I do know that BP gave the BB series a pretty good review on the fretless 4, and I think the 5 string fretted sounded pretty good for a bass in that price range. They may not be everyone's cup of tea (what is?), but I think they are generally regarded as a pretty good bass. Good luck!

4. I'd have to disagree on that, I've found Yamaha basses to be quite inexpensive, and a good value. I paid only C$340 (about US$220) for my RBX260 fretless, and I love it, it feels good, sounds good, it's a good cheap little bass. I don't really have too much experience with other Yamaha's, but I remember the BP article, and the BBN4F was picked as the best overall bass in the contest. I like Yamaha's.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    My BB3000 I bought in 1987 out in Monterey CA for $1,100.00. Great versatile bass, had it forever and I should have held on to it. It was gorgeous black w/ gold. Pricey for me at the time (I was a private in the Army) but I literally saved all of my pay for months in an empty beef jerky can until my First Sergeant found it during an inspection and told me to either put it in the bank, spend it, or that night he would have someone break into my locker and steal it.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The 80s BBs were really nicely made, but I didn't like the styling; the gold pickup rings and bulbous body shape looked a little pimped out. Nathan East used to play one, I believe.

In the lower price ranges, I find that Yamaha's quality control is generally better than Ibanez's, Washburn's or other mass manufacturers. Not that you still don't come across lemons...

The TRBs from the early nineties were terrific instruments for the money, especially the original TRB-6. Of course, since they were such great instruments, Yamaha stopped making them.

Not relevant, but the RBX765A has the tightest B I've come across in that price range. I also came across an Attitude 5 string during the mid-90s that had a really nice B string and a weird humbucking pickup that could be split all sorts of different ways. That one, I guess, was a limited production model; I haven't seen it anywhere since.

7. Thanks a bundle guys. The effort's really appreciated.

But I think I asked the wrong question. Perhaps it should have been: "Low end Yamahas: good VFM?"

I'll try a new thread on that.

John

8. I am very very *very* happy with my BB1200S. Unsure of exact build date, but somewhere in the mid to early 80s. I bought it from a friend at work back in '96 for $600. Not sure if it was the best deal, but it's a great bass. A bit weighty at 10.5 lbs, but this weight gives it a solid feel and I love the neck. It's neck-thru and delivers solid, tight notes. The electronics are decent also, though I usually play passive. It's just a well-made bass that has treated me well; one I'll keep for many years to come.

A bit more info is at http://www.soggycat.com/music.htm

Richard

9. Yamaha GOOD. The Nathan East Signature model 5-string is a real beauty. But, as said before, price is really rather high. Worth paying for the sound, though.

10. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I have a Yamaha RBX760, it was £375 (dunno how many $ that is). Erm..good value, yeah I suppose, active electronics with on board eq, nice finish, brass hardware, good tuning stability/build qaulity, and a nice sound. Yep, its good!