Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maj. Pain, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Maj. Pain

Maj. Pain Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    Ontario
    Ok, right now I am renting a bass package that includes a Fender Sqiuer P-Bass and a Frontman 15B amp. My birthday was yesterday, and I got a good amount of money. I am trying to decide whether I should buy the package I am currently renting, or look into a Yamaha bass.

I say Yamaha because I can get a deal on any Yamaha products, so it would save me some money. I am posting to find out if Yamaha basses are any good. I like my P-Bass pretty much, and don't see any problems in it that some people have talked about on TalkBass.

I would rather have a good bass then save a little bit of cash, so tell me what you think of Yamaha basses.

Oh yeah: http://www.yamaha.ca/show_subcategory.asp?subCategoryId=14&subCategoryCode=EBS00004

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Happy Birthday!

I have owned a few Yamahas and a few Squires. They are both decent basses (don't let The Ox tell you otherwise). I think you should play a few Yamaha's and then decide for yourself. Trust your hands and your ears.

Dan

3. Maj. Pain

Maj. Pain Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    Ontario
    Alright, sounds like good advice. Do Yamaha's mostly have good reputations?

4. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I have a Yamaha BBN5 that I purchased about 4 years ago and have been extremely pleased with it. It is a mid-level instrument, as opposed to low or high end. Based on my experience I would consider another Yamaha for my next bass, although I try not to be blinded by brand loyalty. My other, older bass is a Guild.

Btw, Happy Birthday! :)

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They do. If you do a search on Yamaha using the search function at the top of this page you will find many positive threads about Yamaha basses. The RBX series is one of the hidden gems of the low end bass market. You will find that most of the players who own them are quite pleased.

Dan

6. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia

Agreed.

7. I got a Yamaha RBX 170 a few months back and I really like it. I was choosing between that and the Squier. To me, the Squier just didn't feel right so I picked the Yamaha. I would say that you should try playing both of them and if you decide on the Yamaha it should be great. Good Luck.

8. I haven´t tried newer Squiers, but I think Yamahas are very good bang fro the buck. Perhaps not very "sexy", but solid workhorses. Definitely try them out. Then start saving for an amp..