Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YAMAHA BASSES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rugrat, Apr 13, 2004.

1. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    Does anyone have any experience with the high end Yamaha basses? I was wondering mostly about the sound, the weight, and the quality. I have a bad back and my Stingray 5 really really takes a toll on it at the end of the night. I also have a Cirrus 5 but I'm not crazy about the sound. A little too zingy/high-fi sounding for my taste. Any suggestions?

2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I had a TRB5 that I played for 3 years and really liked. It balanced well on a strap and was also easy to play sitting. The bass had plenty of tone and I played in several different situations with the bass but used it primarily in a R&B horn band. The B was solid, 9 volt active electroninc set-up. Alnico pu's. Weight of the bass was average meaning I don't remember it being especially heavy. Body was ash, maple neck, rosewood board. I sold the bass and really wish I would have kept it. Hope this helps.

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    The TRB5PIIs have a good rep out there as well - the low B's are nice and tight.
    I've played one before, and I think they're really playable - the neck isn't too chunky, and the action is nice and low.
    Tonal wise, I think they go nicely if you play jazz/R&B/pop... basically if you're in a cover band, it'd work very nicely for you.
    Only thing I didn't quite like about it was that it was pretty heavy - quite the shoulder buster... to me at least :)
    You might wanna look through the reviews at <a href="http://www.bgra.net/reviews/yamaha-trb5pii-1-rvw.html">the bgra website</a>

Cheers! :D

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    ive only played the billy sheehan attitude model. crazy tone from that thing, sound just like billy. i exect all the other high ends to be of that quality as well. :D

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You know, the hi-end Yamahas are all pretty heavy. They're also hi-fi sounding.

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I played he John Patituchi 6'er and I loved it. I want one...

7. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    Thanks everyone! I guess I need to do more research. I've had so many basses over the years, I don't know what I want. Iv'e had Fenders, a Pedulla (Thunderbolt), Stingrays, Hamers, Peaveys, Lakland 55-02, Gibsons, a Jackson, ect.......
    That new Sadowsky Metro sounds interesting though.

8. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    Be sure to check out the fairly new neck through BB basses from Yamaha.
    i have a 4 string (not sure of the number on it, check Yamaha website)
    It balances well, and the tone is really nice for an alround bass.
    Also, the Nathan East signature is a great sounding 5'er!

i mainly play the TRB6PII myself, and I think it's an awesome axe!

Frode Berg

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    whenever Frode talks, i situp and sniff the air!

f

10. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    I have owned both a TRB-5P and a TRB5PII and i think they are superb axes. But they wouldn´t be my first choice of bass if a had a bad back...they are quite heavy.

They both played and sounded very classy. The sound leans more toward hi-tech than warmer tones. They would as someone mentioned earlier, be a good choice for most styles. Just look at all the people that have or is using them...Lee Sklar, Tom Hamilton... even Will Lee owns a few... ;)

Hope this helps, good luck!

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Bar none, the Yamaha John Patitucci signature six string was the best bass I've every played. Everything about it was perfect for me. Except the price tag. :poor:

12. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They're good, solidly built basses. The only thing that kept me from getting one is the tone, they're too zingy/treble-y. I imagine you can dial that out, but i didn't have a chance to playing with any of them for long enough to do that.

13. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I'm actually a big fan of Yamaha basses, and think they do a great job of taking P and J designs and updating them "just enough" to a more modern-sounding bass without creating a overmodern metallic solo machine.

I currently own a BB1500A which I got off Musicians Friend for $200, courtesy of this group's good eyes, and a BB1000MA which is still available off American Musical Supply for $300. Both are top caliber instruments, and I'd put the $200 Jazz-like BB1500A against ANY assembly line Jazz bass out there, and am currently fighting the urge to drop another $300 on a RBX775 on musicians friend.

If you're looking for a darker sounding bass, be advised that Yamaha's tend towards a brighter, snappier sound. Even the passive BB1000MA sounds more "active" than my Stingray and G&L L-2000 most of the time.

14. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Oh, and just saw that you asked about the weight of Yamaha basses....

My BB1500A is jazz-sized and is very light.
    My BB1000MA is the size of a Stingray 5 and is heavier, though not as heavy as a SR5. My back gets tired after 2 hours with this thing.
    My RBX250 is basically weightless for an alder bass.

I've never encountered a Yamaha bass that I would have considered especially heavy.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would just like to add that owned at one time TRB6 and a neck through BB2000. I've also owned some lower end Yamahas including a BB404 that I currently own. I have all the faith in the world in Yamahas. They are well made and sound good. They may be heavy but I'm a big and pretty strong man and it takes a alot of bass to get me tired.

16. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My main bass is currently a Yamaha TRB5P and i love it. Its a solid bass, but it isnt heavy. with the 3 band EQ, i can get so many different tones out of the thing. the neck is nice and wide aswell which is a bonus, and the gold hardware is just..second to none :)

17. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have a bolt on TRB4 from about 1995 which was my first bass (!!!) and let me tell you, i love it. it has PERFECT balance no matter what amgle it is at, sits nice, andthe sound is rather nice, except i would probably opt for some sort of upgrade. It has 2 J pickups in it. It can be heavy when doing a 4 hour gig though...

18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    By upgrade I mean pick-up upgrade. The stock PU's are a little sterile... but only a little.

19. ahsbass6

ahsbass6

Apr 13, 2004
    I have 3 Yamaha's--- Nathan East Signature 5 string, TRB-6 and BB1200 4string. I live in the Northeast so the season changes are a problem for the East Bass-- single truss rod w/ a satin finish on the neck allow humidity to affect it. I have to tweek it often, I wonder if Nathan East's tech has the same problems?The TRB-6, has two rods, stays rock solid, though it tends to be a little neck heavy. Not a lot of low end on this one, the only internal adjustments are for the mids. The East bass preamp is a little noisy, in quiet settings you will notice it. This one can be very deep or razor sharp w/ the highs I don't use the BB1200 much, I keep it around because it is rare.
    My East and TRB are both bolt on, the 1200 is through the neck. I use the TRB for Jazz and soloing, the East for slap and more Pop sounds. I must say, I use the East, less and less, a beautiful instrument , I may sell it, it has the Tiger Maple finish.
    For some of us " old " guys that grew up w/ pre CBS fenders, the Yamaha's offer the same traditional feel and style but the quality, fit and finish are excellent. I should be in advertising! Ha!

20. ejsagun

ejsagun

Jan 20, 2003
    I have a yamaha RBX750A in blue

its a great bass with a jazz configuration and 2 band eq,

It sounds good with the active electronics but i took it out and rigged a series parallel switch and passive tone controls plus a jfet pramp/buffer at the end,

Tone definitely improved when i took out the active electronics, Sounds fatter and warmer