1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MammaryVest, Aug 17, 2007.

1. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I've been thinking about trying some yamahas for a change, and was wondering if someone could recommend a solid four string for hard rock.

2. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I can't speak to using it in a hard rock setting, but the BB414/BB614 are a whole lot of bass for not much dough. You can get some very meaty sounds out of it. Definitely worth checking out.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You can't go wrong with any of the Yamahas. But you should try the BB series. They are relatively inexpensive, look great, sound great, play easily and the range of tones is amazing. The BB414 is a great Yamaha.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I also concur that the BB series are excellent basses. The BB414 is the passive model and BB614 is the active model. Having played the BB414 I can tell you that it has a nice neck and sounds very good to my ears (very P-like). The pickups are fairly hot as well so you don't need a lot of volume to play this in a regular setting. It cut through two guitars and keys with no problem at all.

5. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Yet another vote. I have the older version of the 414; the 404, which is a passive Jazz copy with the Nathan East body style. The 414 is going to look the "hard rock" part far better.

Also take a look at the TRB-1004. It's a Korean-made TRB, the sister to the TRB-1005 5-string and 1006 6-string. I believe the 1004 has the 35" scale of its counterparts (versus the 34" BB scale), and I know it has the same electronics and styling. It'll be more expensive than the BBs, but I think you'll find it's still an excellent value.