Yamaha basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shellac, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    I still haven't decided what to buy, but here's a few questions.

Are Yamaha's mid-upper level basses any good? By level I mean price wise. By good, I mean construction, tone, and such.

I went to GC yesterday (the only major seller in my city) and just looked around, maybe picked up a few basses. The newer Yamaha's were really good on the eye, but I didn't get a chance to play any.

Also, does anyone know if the electronics are 18v or what? Because their brochure doesn't say.

Right now I have only a BTB400, and of what I've played at GC I'm still stemmed toward the BTB's. Thing is now I'd like a 5 or atleast a better 4 (not taking anything away from the BTB). That next bass I haven't found yet. I was going to go for Carvin, but there's no way to test those out for me.

Anyway, so if you can recommend something better or worth trying please......I'm trying to walk out with a new bass today. =P
  2. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah yamaha basses are quite good looking ive played one, they have a different tone to my vintage, but yeah there nice i would recommend a 5 string..or atleast play on it first to see whether your comfortable with it, if not get another 4 string

:bassist: :D
  3. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    They're indeed beautiful basses. Are you refering to the RBX (BB) or TRB range? I don't think I've even seen a TRB in person. =)

Also, I know little about wood, so.....can someone tell me which is "cheaper", alder or maple or basswood? By cheap, I mean quality.