Yamaha BB 300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russjm, Nov 1, 2005.

1. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
  2. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Sorry, meant to give you my .02 and answer your questions. My first "real" bass was a 350, and I thought it was great for the money. The 3000 was very sweet, good tones. Wide neck though, my small hands prefer Jazz basses now. I think all Yamahas are made in Japan, but not positive. Good Luck!
  3. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    That's a 300. I have had one for 15 years, the only modifications to it have been quarter pound bassline pickups, other than that the thing is stock. Great workhorse of a bass, heavy and built like a tank. Has been essentially my main bass for a long time, only recently splitting time with a BB1500A.
  4. But the other 300's I've seen didn't have the pickguard, do you think that's an addition or original?
  5. Yeah great bass, but the necks on them are huge! they seem almost bigger then a normal P bass neck?
  6. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    Some of them had pickguards but alot have made after-market pickguards for them. I have seen quite a few with pickguards on them.
  7. Never seen one with a pickguard before and never want to again! Maybe it was fabricated because an aftermarket p/up was installed and the original Yamaha p/up mounting is different. Then again, when I installed my Dimarzios in my BB400s, I just had a friend mill up a new p/up surround from alloy & polish it.

BTW, My BB was my first bass and is still my main bass after 15 or so years. Get it set up well & you will fall in love with it.

PS, later in the 80's, Yamaha had a run of these BB's made in Korea, some of them don't have the model number on the headstock. The only way to know is to look on the back of the headstock for a serial number and the words Made in Japan stamped on there!
  8. Ok I just won the BB300 off e-bay, Im wondering if it is the Korean made modal or not. I didnt see any #'s on the back of the headstock. If so how bad are the Korean made? Im a P bass guy and ive played some other older BB's in stores very solid, but for a 100 bucks and all the good things im hearing lately about BB's I couldnt pass it up, I hope?

Thanks for any feedback/info!
  9. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Congrats man. The bass looks clean and for a hundred bucks you're laughing all the way to the bank :cool:
  10. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I had a BB300 back in the mid-80s & essentially gave it away on an ill-advised trade several years later. Great, no frills, workhorse bass that I wish I still had. It had a cigarette burn on the headstock, lemme know if you ever see it!

Never saw one witha pickguard though.
  11. I wouldn't be too scared if it's Korean made, if it's lasted this long, it'll probably last forever with a bit of TLC! The MIJ models had a higher quality control from the factory, but the Korean factory used all the same specs as the Japanese factory so you should be OK. They are a heavy bass, but I wouldn't trade or sell mine for anything!
  12. Thanks for the info!

Should I through some new pups in it? Turners or bridge?What year (range) do you think?
  13. I fitted mine with Dimarzio Will Power P p/up with the splitter switch, it's got a hell of a lot of tonal range for a passive! Bridge wise, if it's a Japanese model, it should have the heavy duty bridge with a kind of "etching" on it. If it hasn't it's more than likely Korean, but that's cool, invest in a Hipshot, or if you want to spend the $, a Badass II.
    Tuners should be fine as is.
    At a guess, I'd say it's mid to later 80's. I don't think Yamaha continued the original BB shape into the 90's.
    Just an interesting fact.... Billy Sheehan used a BB3000 as the prototype for the Attitude series. When Yamaha dropped the BB shape he went for a more P-bass look, maybe to make him feel like he was still playing his "WIFE" Fender! Billy also had a few RBX prototypes made with his usual pickup setup, but these were never mass produced.
    Yup, I'm a Yamaha geek!
  14. Well Im glad your a geek! :) your full of good Yamaha info. I have a bad ass II bridge on a Schector jazz I dont play anymore, Ill put that on it. As for some pups maybe the 1/4 pounders. Honestly, Ive got a fender 78 P and 87 P, how is the BB sound in comparison?

I cant believe this thing was only $100, makes me wonder why I was eyeballing a new MIA P bass reissue that was close to grand.

Thanks again
  15. One more thing I forgot to ask, is there anything wrong with the org. pups in this thing, sound or whatever?

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    When I went shopping for my first bass in 1985 or so, I had a choice between a Yamaha BB300, a Japanese Fender Squire Precision, and a Kramer Pioneer JJ. I got the Kramer because it had two big pickups, fancy switches, and gold hardware...but the Yamaha and the Squier both sounded better. I've always been impressed by the Yamahas of that era...I like the chunky necks and overall solidity.
  17. T-Jam

Oct 26, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    I had a BB300 in the mid to late '80's. Stock pick ups weren't exactly overpowering, but the guitar had a nice tone. Good solid guitar that won't ask you to do anything fancy for it. It just works. I seem to remember that it was just a bit neck heavy. I had a big 'ol leather strap with the rough side down so that the strap would keep the neck from slowly sliding down. Fretwork was good, and the maple used in the neck was a thing of beauty.

For what you paid, I'd say that you got a good solid instrument that won't give you any crap. Seems to me they were running in the $250 -$300 range new, I bought mine as a demo (new-ish) for about $200 at the time.
  18. Thanks for all the info, I now have a BB1100S to go with my BB3000S. I'm still thinking of buying the 300 too though, sounds like it could do a good job for me.
  19. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004

Nothing really, but I replaced mine with Basslines quarter pounders and it screams and gets right out front of the mix. great sounding lead bass.