1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB 405

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter S, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Peter S

Peter S

Nov 27, 2008
    Northern Ireland
    I have just bought a very very second hand 5 string at a reasonable price as above. Just starting 5 string. Neck and frets are fine. My main bass is a Jazz and I thought I would like to make this one different by adding Dimarzio Ultra Jazz - 5 String Bass Pickups to improve the Yamaha pickups. Are there better pickup options to consider. I like a fat thump sound.

Now here is the bit where you laugh! Eventually I might/probably will change the pots but in the meantime why can't I just use small terminal block to join the new pickups to the old pots. Say leave an inch of wire max on the pots and put the joining block there. I have never soldered and don't fancy it.

Also is there such a thing as tone and volume controls that work in a linear fashion? My experience to date on starting from 0% to 360 % is nothing, nothing, nothing, 270% something and then a bit more etc.

I love this site. I am aged 58 and only started playing again 2 years ago but am taking a more professional approach - hence the use of terminal block lol.

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021