1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB 415 and pickups height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lionel Albert, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    Hi !

I've got a Yamaha BB, years ago I was playing in a rock band, kind of post-punk band, I had to change the height of the pickups because when I was plucking sometimes the bass made strange sounds, strings hitting the pickups.
    Well, I quit the band because it wasn't really my style, too much dream, too much bla-bla... The drummer used to say he knew everything... Well, a kind of Wayne's World kid : "Play all open, everyone plays like that, you strap is too short, play it down your knees, it sounds better..."
    When I quit the band I came back to my style, fingerstyle, jazz, walking bass, chorus, chords, etc.
    I couldn't recognize my sound, a kind of messy sound... Horrible.
    Today I reduced the distance between strings and pickups and I recovered my sound even if I have to turn down the volume of the bass.
    Sound is focused, a big round sound with some precision even if sometimes strings hit the pickups, the Jazz pickup very high in order to emulate a fretless bass...
    Have you ever lived that thing with a BB, a JP bass, Jazz bass ?

whatacnut likes this.
  2. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    I might be the only one.