Yamaha BB 605

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geezer_Butler, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Geezer_Butler

Feb 13, 2004
    Hi, I saw this bass other day and loved it. It has good matherials ( same body as american fender..) and its quite cheap. I would like to know if you can tell me something about it. I have allso thought with time, putting on it a good preamp with good pickups, maybe an aguilal preamp with basslines on bartolini( dont know if there are Jazz tipe hum cancelling ones) pickups.

Would you recomend me doing it? Its a good bass without modifying it? Good sound/playability? :help:

Thank you very much :smug:
  2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    The nathan east preamp on those basses are pretty nice. And the yamaha single coils have a very nice tone to them as well. I'd probably keep it stock, lots of tone shaping possibilities.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I also have a question about this bass. I keep seeing 2 different pictures of it on different sites like Musicians Friend, Sam Ash, Music123 and others. I keep seeing what looks like a BB405 with only 3 knobs but they ID it as a BB605. On the Yamaha site, it's shown to have more knobs and a switch. Are these sites wrongly ID'ing this bass?? I was thinking of springing for one but don't want to get the wrong bass and have to send it back!

From the Yamaha site

From Music123

I'm assuming the pic from Yamaha is correct for the current model. Could the other pic be an older model or is it just wrong?
  4. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I believe the top pic is a 605 and the bottom is a 405
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've played the 405, which is a bass I've considered buying before. Really nice for the price. I also quite enjoy the NE preamp, I've played the NE sig and the preamp is really nice. Never played the 605, but if it's the 405 with the preamp, I'd hit it.
  6. Judge

Mar 26, 2004
    Since February I have been the proud owner of a black BB605 and I find the range of tones excellent, either in passive or active mode. The pre-amp seems to work well and I see no need to consider changing any of the electronics.

For me the neck is simply superb - nice and flat. So far I can't really fault the bass but then I've never really spent excessive amounts on any basses that I've owned and maybe a bass for a lot more money might play and sound much better but for the equivalent of £300 I doubt you'd find a much better bass.
  7. jamaha

Mar 5, 2006
    How much would be a reasonable price for a used BB605??
  8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    check out the BB615 (or BB415)

Now THEY are incredible for the $$
  9. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

K-Frog is right.

That said, both of these basses have been discontinued. As bazzanderson alluded to, the updated versions are the BB615 (active) and BB415 (passive).

The new models are excellent values and great players for the money but some people prefer the sleeker shape of the older (605/405) basses over the newer ones. It's interesting to note that the older models have a J/J pup configuration vs. the P/J config on the newer basses.

Here's the BB615 ...

10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a BB605. It's a great bass. I did replace the electronics with Bartolini - preamp and pups. Not that the stock stuff was bad, I just love Bartolini.

I also got a BB414 from my wife for Christmas. Great little bass. I left that one stock for a nice passive P/J bass.