1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB series tuner wrench

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Low Main, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I was asked to provide a photo of the elusive tuner tensioning wrench that came with the classic Yamaha BB basses back in the early 1980's.

I was lucky enough to get an older Yamaha BB several years ago that came with absolutely everything, including the tiny little wrench. These things got lost very easily, so not many are still with the basses today.

There are different ways to make one of these wrenches, but lately with the other 80's BB basses I've had, I've found that just finger tightening the collars provides ample tension on the tuner shaft.

I figured I'd post a photo of the type of tuners these wrenches were made for. Some folks have these BB basses and don't realize that the tuners have adjustable tension.

Attached Files:

2. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Ugh - terrible photo of the wrench. It didn't look that bad on my computer. I'll try to take a better shot at some point if I get a chance.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    those really are nicely made basses.

Matt R likes this.
  4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    When I got my BB the tension was very low on all four tuners. Finger tight wasn't enough, so what I did was take a small plier and used some cloth to cover the teeth on the jaws so they wouldn't mar the tuner, but would still provide grip. I was then able to adjust the tension exactly where I wanted without damaging the metal sleeve. Using band-aids or a few layers of tape to cover the teeth would probably work as well.

Matt R likes this.