Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BB1000MA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cmassa, Nov 18, 2003.

1. cmassa

cmassa Hello. My name is Chris, I'm a bass-aholic.

Nov 27, 2001
    Chicago
    anybody play one of these? American Musical
    has them marked down to $359 from list of $999.
    and they have a metallic black or the green
    one.

2. cmassa

Nov 27, 2001
    Chicago
    no case. those are $70-90 SKB type

3. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I jumped at that deal and got one, played it for a couple weeks and returned it. Overall it was a decent bass but not really what I was looking for. I'm pretty picky I guess but here are my complaints: 1) neck heavy - a pet peave of mine; 2) aggressive, kind of clanky metallic tone - cuts like crazy and pretty cool but not what I was looking for; and 3) can't fill out the bottom for reggae/funk/soul. Reason #3 was fatal for me. The reason I went for it is that I really wanted to try the reverse P/J pickup configuration to see if it evened out the string volumes, which it does, at the price of low end. If you like the upfront tone, sort of similar to a stingray without all the sizzle, then go for it. The bass was well made, nice looking, and set up well. My drummer liked how it looked. I was cool with the Green body but thought the red fingerboard markers looked a little cheesy. Bass Player did a review of it a few months ago and mentioned the neck-heaviness and lack of low end too.

4. cmassa

Nov 27, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for the review. The GC near me
    only has a BB3000 MA that was dropped.

chris

5. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Your welcome. Just to put my critiscm of the low end in perspective I should say that I've been craving lots of lows lately - playing a P-bass with flats. The Yamaha would probably do fine for a lot of styles, and some bass boost at the amp would help it too but if the thump in your chest is what you live for you'd do better with something else.