SOLD Yamaha BB1000S PRICE REDUCED

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Hudsobass, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Hudsobass

Hudsobass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    Price:
    $750
    Strings:
    United States
    Great 80's era Yamaha BB1000S 4-string workhorse bass. It is not pristine - definitely a player's instrument. I have tried to show the flaws and dings with the pictures, including the dings on the back of the neck. Stock P/J pickup with the P featuring the "reverse" placement. Master volume, master tone and pickup selector toggle switch. Neck-thru body construction. Rosewood fingerboard. I believe it to be an Alder body. I don't have a scale so I'm not sure what it weighs. Feels like a standard weight to me. Persimmon red finish. No hardshell case, but a very thin gig bag will be included. The bass will be well packed. Price includes shipping. CONUS. Yamaha BB1000s 19.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 21.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 8.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 3.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 23.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 4.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 5.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 11.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 29.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 30.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 25.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 18.jpg Yamaha BB1000s 16.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  2. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Really cool bass! I'm going to ask the inevitable "Weight?" and "Trades?" questions. :)

3. Hudsobass

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    I wish I had a scale, but there's none to be found in this house. The only possible trade is a MM Stingray 4.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  4. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    Peter Hook bass? This has the very chunky neck correct?

5. SlowpokeJoe

SlowpokeJoe Supporting Member

Hooky used a BB1200S which is a neck-through 3 band active model. Same family though!

Mediocrity Man likes this.
  6. SlowpokeJoe

Great bass at a great price!

7. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    I kind of like the passive models anyway. sweet bass!

SlowpokeJoe likes this.
  8. Hudsobass

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    I believe Peter Hook was known for playing the BB1200S (the single P bass pickup model).

The neck on this BB1000S is a little chunky, but not as chunky as my former 74' Fender Precision, which was a big C radius. In terms of neck width at the nut, it looks like 1 11/16" - in between a P and a J.

FishDub likes this.
  9. Hudsobass

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    It's possible it is 1 5/8".

Mediocrity Man likes this.
  10. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    played one of these during the 80's and 90's, good ol' workhorse bass.

11. Hudsobass

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    One other thing to mention - the G tuner is slightly bent. All four tuners tune up just fine.

12. Hudsobass

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    Price reduced

SlowpokeJoe likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now this would be a wonderful bass to simply own. I love BB series basses from that era.

14. Hudsobass

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    Price reduced to $850. This red Yamaha machine needs a new home.

15. Hidesert

Hidesert

Oct 7, 2011
    Santa Fe
    I believe the model numbers on these classic late 70’s/early 80’s era Japanese-made Yamaha basses reflected the pricing (in hundred yen increments). This is a very high-level model. Great bass and a GREAT
    price!!!
    GLWS

Hudsobass likes this.
  16. SlowpokeJoe

The BB1000S shows up in the 1982 catalog as a companion to the BB2000 and the then also new BB1200S

The differences between the BB1000S and the BB2000 are the fretboard with rosewood on the BB1000S and ebony on the BB2000, different neck construction with 3 piece maple/mahogany on the BB1000S and 5 piece maple/mahogany on the BB2000.

The bridge pickups also differ with an 8 pole pickup on the BB1000S and a bar magnet pickup on the BB2000S. Bodies are both solid alder, BB1200S construction is the same as BB2000

Your bass’s color is “Persimmon Red” :)

If I didn’t already have a BB1000S in fretless in my BB family I’d be very tempted to jump on this, this is a great bass at a fair price.

17. Hudsobass

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    Thanks much for the updated information SlowpokeJoe. Very helpful to know. I've always liked and played the BB's but don't always know the differences with the construction and features of all the models.

Over time I have had 300's, a 400S, an 800 (turned into fretless), 1000S's, an 1100S, a 734A, a 1200, a 1500, a 1600, a 3000, a IV and a Frankenbass with mixed Yamaha components and aftermarket Aguilar P/J's. I still have a few in my possession - but should have held on to everyone of them!

The 1100S had an active circuit that I didn't care for, but I liked running it passive. The 1500 I believe was made in Taiwan, and wasn't a typical BB. It was more like a jazz bass on steroids with dip switches in the back panel that provided a variety of tones from the active preamp. The IV I still currently have. It now features a Lane Poor P pick-up. Very neutral sounding instrument that records really well. Fun with Yamaha's, that's for sure.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    SlowpokeJoe likes this.
  18. Nice!

19. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    GLWTS - I love the sound and neck profiles on these '80s Yamahas!

20. Hudsobass

Jan 24, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    Price reduced to $799

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022