1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hey, give a guy some feed back on this bass.
    Anyone still gigging with it?
    Pro's/Cons??
    List $$ new- street $$ new...
    I have a line on one for a pretty killer price- I think.
    Tone???
    Neck?? P or J type??

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Is it a BB1500A like this one?

3. Yup!
    Exactly like that one.

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have one of these and I love it. I bought it in mint cond. on the bay about 4 years ago for $425. I think they sold new for around a grand. Yamaha only made them for a couple of years.(around 2000 I believe) The neck is between a jazz and a P. It plays great with a good setup. It is on par with MIA Fenders, for sure. I think this bass was kind of an in between model between the older BB models and the newer TRBs. The electronics are a bit different in that instead of a typical mid knob, they have a switch with three settings, flat/ mid cut(selectable freq in cavity) / and mid boost or cut (gain and freq selectable in cavity). It's kinda cool to have different tones and the turn of a switch. If you didn't like that, you could always switch the pre.
    The bass has a kind of modern jazz sound. It sounds very good. It won the "Top Tone" award from BP mag when it came out.

If it's a good price, get it. I think it's one of Yamaha's hidden gems.

5. JDH

JDH

Apr 12, 2008
    Worcestershire, UK
    I've got one, paid £250.00 used about 4 years ago, which was a good price as they retailed in the UK for £695.00. I think it's a quality bass, has a fast neck, a good feel and is solidly built. As previously stated the EQ and mid frequency can be adjusted in the body cavity. The output level is also adjustable, in my experience I've set this to the minimum to get the kind of sound I like. I play mine through a Mark Bass CMD102P and it sounds excellent. The preamp is a little noisy with the treble boost at max but it's acceptable. I sure I'll be buying other basses in the future, but I'm keeping the BB1500A - it's a gem...

6. sandman

sandman

Apr 13, 2004
    Melbourne
    great bass. cool preamp, beautiful neck, great solid workhorse bass.