1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB1600 tuner issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Eric Swaim, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have a 1980's Yamaha BB1600 bass and the tuners are not as tight as I prefer. They actually seem lose in comparison to every other bass I own. It's like if you looked at it really hard, the tuners would move. I do not see anywhere you an adjust the tension on the tuner.

Any help would be appreciate, Thanks in advance
    Eric

2. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    If you look at the "collar" just below the tuning key heads, you'll see that there's a little hole for each one. There's a tool that can tighten this "collar" by turning it, which was supplied with the bass. You can improvise with pliers or other suitable tools to increase the tension.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, it looks like a miniature plumber's spanner...good luck finding one without some effort. I just used my needle-nose with surgical tubing to cushion the jaws.

Riis

Fishheadjoe likes this.
  4. What Zoo said! Yamaha tuners have adjustable tension on the tuners and the sleeve with the hole is the adjuster. As small piece of rubber and a pair of pliers and it s an easy fix. Heck, some of us are able to increase the tuner tension with our bare hands!
    Fishheadjoe

Zooberwerx likes this.