Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BB1600 vs BB1000MA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Jan 15, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Has anyone tried the both of these? The benefit of the BB1000MA would be that it is newer and more available. I bet I could find a great deal on the BB1600 but I am not sure what shape it'll be in since it'll be 20 plus years old. I'd be interested in feedback if anyone has tried either or both. I'm in a quest for a bass.
    Thanks

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My first "real" bass was a BB1600. I loved that bass. Great feel, great tone, built like a tank. I bought it used somewhere 1987. I would still have it but it was stolen from my home in 1993.

3. Filip

Filip

Feb 13, 2003
    Sweden, Uppsala
    I've tried my friends bb1600. A great bass! Love the feel and tone of it. And yes, it'a a tank!

F

4. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Don't stick with just those models, almost all Yamaha BB models made in the 80's are excellent. Currentyly I own a BB1200S which is an active p-bass. Excellent basses! You will not make a bad decision with either one.

5. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Awesome. Do you have pictures? Is that a neck through? I really don't want the j pup but prefered the split p. one thing I am not sure on about the bb1000ma is the reverse p pup as well the selector switch - I prefer a knob.

6. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Actually I do :) It is a poison dark green neck-through with a active/passive switch, 3-band eq and with a killer bridge. Upgraded it with some fender tuners. It's a baby. It is from the year '81, so it has very many dents and so, but it is my baby-

7. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Do you know if they ever made a non neck through version of that bass?

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There's a BB1000MA on sale at samash.com, closeout, $299, one left. Says the list is $999.

9. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    The non neck-through version goes by a different name. At least the BB400S is otherwise identical, but it isn't neck-through and the body is made of ash instead of maple on the BB1200S. The non-S version is passive with only volume and tone controls. The S-verion has the 9 v preamp and the plug-jack is in the different place.

I'm so excited, I have my eyes on a BB400S. Fretless with an added bridge pickup. I want that baby! The quality of those 80's Yamahas is unbeliviable, and I got my BB1200S for a pathetic price of only 170 euros:D I could've boughtnine of those for the price of my Fender.

10. Filip

Filip

Feb 13, 2003
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Hi!!

Hi have a question when we talks about the BB:s.

I can by a BB-1000 for 1500 kronor (~200 US$). It's said to be in good condition. Is this a good price?

I live in sweden and for you who know sweden all secondhand musicinstruments is much more expencive here...

Filip

11. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Thats an excellent price, go for it! And if you don't like the instrument that much, you can always sell it to me :D The price is only 165 euros, which is very excellent. Jag tänker att det här priset är kanon! (Sorry of my bad Swedish, haven't studied it for just a few years). The price that has been asked for the BB400S I'm loking at is 300 euros. I hope that I could get the price to about 250 euros. I just saw a used BB1200S here in Finland, and the asking price was 360 euros, which is also a good price. Anyways, Du skulle köpa den där Yamaha BB1000. Kan du berätta mera om det?

12. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    I ran across a really nice bb2000 from´'82 that i bought from a pawnshop a couple of months ago. I payed 200 euros for it, and reckoned that it would be a perfect "beater"-bass.
    It turns out that this baby is one sweet-sounding, playable and durable piece of work! The reversed p-pickup brings out a beautiful, fat tone and the neck-though construction gives tremendous sustain. The j-pickup is a bit noisy when soloed - as always - but since I am very much of a precision guy, I usually go with the neck pickup soloed.
    As previous writers also have noticed, the production value of this instrument is really stunning! It is in my opinion a far greater bass than any fender from this period - that I have played.
    As a very determined fenderite, I am really surprised that this bass worked so well for me!

13. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Congrats :) Whats the serial number? All of the 80's BBs have the reverse p-pickup, which i think is good. I am going to probably change the pickup to a Duncan, because I want more middle from my bass. I am also going to put some flats on it. Up the irons! What controls does the BB2000 have?

14. The world is definitely small - I am the one selling that bass!:D 250 euros, eh? We´ll see about that when you get better... mail me when that happens!

And Filip; yeah, thats a true bargain, we´re talking about quality basses here. But remember to do a thorough check-up!

15. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    I don't have the bass at hand, but I was told that it probably is an '82 or perhaps an '83.
    The bb2000:s controls are volume, tone and a 3-way pu-selector. It is not active, which suits me well, since I like to use my own preamps.
    I kinda like the stock pickup myself, but I suppose that a SD qourter pounder would bring more "scream" into the instrument.

16. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004

Does your bass have a plastic "plate" around the neck pickup? I have a that in my bass, and the pickup has two screws on the other side and one on the other side. I am excpecting some drilling when I change the pickup. Do you have a picture of your bass?

17. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Here is the pickup.

18. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Looks about the same as mine. I suppose that the drilling needed to be done is quite simple. I don't have any pictures of mine handy, but I can arrange it if you'd like it.

19. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    What are the necks on those early BB series basses like? Are they fast and thin like the current BB series or are that fat tree stumps like a p?

Reason I ask is I can't play a p bass because I have short fingers?

20. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I would say the neck is kinda like the one on my jazz bass, Jaco signature to be exact:D I just personally dont like the lacquer on the neck, but it easily taken off.