Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BB1600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Oct 28, 2005.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Ok I found a Yamaha BB1600, dont know the year looks like maybe 80's? Looks likes its in decent shape playing wise and what not. Truss rod underneth the butt of the fret board looks a little suspicious, but there asking $299 for it, good price?

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Wylee,
    My first decent bass was a BB1600. Sold it to a friend to get something or other, and I regretted it. I think they were introduced in the 1980's.
    The locking tuners are the Achilles heel of this bass. You had to have a tool for loosening and tightening of the locks to tune, a pain. I didn't have the special Yamaha tool and had to improvise one, an additional pain. If you don't tighten the locks, the bass goes out of tune easily. The locks would not finger tighten for me.
    Otherwise, my Yamaha was a solid passive PJ with a better than good sound, and it played well. I've seen some active models, similar to the one I had, that I didn't like as well.
    I don't really know the bluebook on these, but $299.00 might be within reason. You may find them for less, depending on condition. If you're lucky, there may be a listing, for $3.99, at:oops:rionbluebook.com. I think mine cost me about $400.00, with case, in the early 1990's. It sure looked sexy, black with gold hardware.
    Hope this helps.
    good luck,
    RD

3. What can I say, if it were here in the UK, I'd have bought it by now.

4. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks guys for the info! It doesnt sound like a screamin deal so I may just pass, Im sure I could talk the price down a bit. But if everyone here was telling me its worth somewhere closer $600 Id go get it.

Thanks again

5. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I just purchased a 83 MIJ BB300 with a single stock p bass style PU for $200.00 CDN that will blow the doors off most P Bass types I've played including a few MIA Fenders. These basses are very underated and very solid players. Extremely happy with it.