1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Yamaha BB2000 Fretless Bass w/ohsc 1982 Vintage Cherry Burst

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Matt R, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    1982 Yamaha BB2000 Fretless bass w/OHSC. The bass and case are in good condition. The fretboard was professionally converted to fretless by Norik Renson in 1989 and has been maintained by Glade Rasmussen since. Norik also installed the brass nut, Bartolini PJ pickups and custom pickup rings. 5 piece capillary neck with finished Macassar ebony fretless conversion finger board, Alder wings, deep 2 tone vintage cherry burst, 9 lbs, 10 oz. It has dings and scratches but has been well cared for since purchasing it from the original owner in 1989. It is in excellent players condition.

This bass has been well cared for. This is a great opportunity to own a very high quality and rare hand made Japanese bass at a killer price.
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    nismaniac and woodyng2 like this.
  2. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Awesome! Any sound clips?

3. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Hi sonicblue62, I do not have any sound clips of the fretless Yamaha BB2000 bass available. Thank you for your interest and question.
    Matt

sonicblue62 likes this.
  4. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    I would bet that this bass is the single best value on TB today, based on my factory fretless BB2000...

Matt R likes this.
  5. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    $190 price drop.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  6. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    This bass has been well cared for. This is a great opportunity to own a very high quality and rare hand made Japanese bass at a killer price.

7. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Is this 32 scale?

8. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Hi Gully Foyle,
    The BB2000 is 34" scale. Thanks for your question.

9. So what is the Price?

10. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Cool bass though I am confused as to whether or not the fingerboard is coated in something?

11. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Thanks it is a very nice instrument. The Macassar ebony fretless finger board is finished with cyanoacrylate. It's a very hard, low sheen clear finish.

12. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Cool.

Matt R likes this.
  13. Steadfast

Steadfast

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    @Matt R I know what a fretted BB2000 sounds like with the original pups. Can you contrast the difference with the new pups and being fretless? I am interested because I like the original BB2000 sound but I am into fretless now and this is affordable.

This cat has some good samples of the original config: (do the tones compare?)

Matt R likes this.
  14. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Hi, thanks for your interest and question. I have owned a bunch of Yamaha BB2000 and BB1200S basses. The original BB2000 pickups to me, sound under wound for absolute clarity. The late 1980's Bartolini pickups sound much darker and low mid present, yet clear. Trying to explain the sound and playability dynamic is impossible, viewing a video falls far short of actual experience. The fretless medium is what ever one makes with it. This bass makes a deep sound that will develop mwah tone when the closed note is left to develop. The neck precision pickup is deep, low mid present and clear. The bridge pickup is mid to high mid present and clear. With the pickups evenly combined the bass sounds compressed, tight and even across the frequency spectrum. Again, there isn't a substitute for experience. If you or anyone who wants to play the bass is in southern California, IM me and feel welcome to play it.

Steadfast likes this.
  15. Dodgerblue007

Dodgerblue007

Sep 24, 2012
    Hi. Is this instrument still for sale?

16. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Hi Dodgerblue007, yes it is. If you are in SoCal you are welcome to come play it. I am in Thousand Oaks.

17. Dodgerblue007

Dodgerblue007

Sep 24, 2012
    Cool. I'm in Santa Monica. Got some time this Sunday?

18. Matt R

Matt R Supporting Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Newbury Park, Ca.
    Yes, please PM me? Thank you.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021