Yamaha BB2004, does anyone have a review of it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jedi, Sep 4, 2003.

1. jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Hello hello,

I was curious if anyone owns or has played the new BB2004, I was curious about it, but unfortunately I don't have access around my area to play one. I havn't been able to find anything in the forums about it, because it's so new. Any comments, reviews, anything would be greatly appreciated, thanks. ;)

2. jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
  3. Well, I saw a review for it in the last Bass Player mag (UK version), seemed to rate it very highly and said it was exceptional value for money. The seperated bridge system is supposed to be a success, producing more sustain. It looks so sweet in natural with block inlays!

Sorry if this wasn't much help.
  4. jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Anything helps immensely. I think i flipped through the last Bass Player (us) but don't recall seeing anything about it. I'm looking to get a new bass, and i always go back to play my first bass which is a Yamaha RBX256? And I saw the BB2004 on their website and just couldn't find much info on it. Thanks :)

5. Yeah, Yamaha's website isn't the most up-to-date site I've been to. This is what I found at Harmony Central: http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM02/Content/Yamaha/PR/BB2004-BB2005.html

I like Yamaha basses in general. Everyone I played seemed pretty well made and a great value for the money. I have a $400 BBN5II that I bought two years ago - this thing feels, plays and sounds great. It's no competition for a boutique job, but, for what it is, you can't beat it. I'm kind of looking at a TRB 5 as a possible next candidate, but, that won't be for a while.

Good luck.

6. jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Awesome. I think I had run across that article a few days ago, but I apparantly hadn't read it. My whole predicament, if you will call it that, is that I own a 2001 MIA Fender Jazz, and my old Yamaha. I got the Fender for around $600 a few months old from a friend, I pretty much bought it because it was a good deal and my Yamaha was getting pretty beat up. But like I said before, everytime I pick up my Yamaha, it just feels so much better and is easier for me to play. I recently started looking into getting a new bass, playing a lot of old Fenders, Rickenbackers, and Stingrays. I liked a few of the old Fenders, every Geddy Lee I've picked up, and the one Aerodyne that I played. But I want to find out info on this Yamaha before I make any decisions. Plus I would ideally like to sell my Fender, but I think I to post in a different forum to find out how much I should ask for it. Hmm, I think that is more information than needed, haha, my apologies.

7. MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    I don't know if my response is going to be much help, but here goes...
    I have a MIM Fender Jazz and a Yamaha BB605 (The Yamaha came about 10 years after the Jazz). In terms of playability, the Yamaha is fantastic. (Better than some of the boutique bass that I've tried, IMO) The sound is good, and the electronics are also good. Does it sound better than the Fender? IMHO, yes it does. Now, here's the difference. The BB605 is a five string and has an active preamp (unlike the BB2004). Will you like the feel of the BB2004? That I can't answer for you, but can vouch for the bang for buck of the Yamaha basses. I have not tried any passive Yamaha basses, but I did try an active four string (BB604) and the feel was similar to the five string (if that's possible).

I'm not sure if this helps, but there you have it. If you have any other questions, let me know.

P.S. The natural satin finish on these basses is gorgeous.
  8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I've played the BB2005 and I'm a huge fan of Yamaha basses. I only spent a few minutes playing it but it was a really great experience. If only I'm not broke. The neck was really comfortable and I plugged the Yammy into a 50-watt Crate amplifier. It was very versatile and the tone was crisp and clear. The B string was very tight(not surprising). I really want one, the Yamaha Nathan East models are the best looking basses IMO, rounded body sides, pearl block inlays, white finish...yum!
  9. soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Any news on this topic? Has anybody tried out the black or white version of BB2004? Is it any worth its price tag? Thanks.

10. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    If the BB2005 basses(I've played three different ones on three different occasions) are anything to go by, yes they are worth every penny but you have to actually go out and try one for yourself, might not be your cup of tea.
  11. up this thread

how does it sound

can I get something of a J-like sound out of this?

I'm really interested

how much of an influence is the 35" scale, I'm not having a hard time playing 34"

but anyway tell me 'bout the sound(will check it out sometime anyway...but would like your expert opinions)
  12. also

I've seen
    bb2004 NS
    bb2004 BL
    and something else I think

what do these 'NS' and 'BL' mean

is it just colour?
  13. bassrx

Jun 8, 2004
    yes. they refer to color

ns:natural stain