Yamaha BB2004

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doodles, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Doodles

Sep 20, 2005
    Hey Folks!

I really like the look of these, (especially the white ones :) ) but I cannot find any reviews.

i am after a high end 4 banger and have been considering Lakland, Sadowsky, Lull etc.
    I have played a Yamaha TRB 5 with thru neck and loved it...
    I just wondered how the BB2004 stacks up in the quality dept when compared to the 'hand made" more expensive alternatives above.

I have no local stockists of any of the above, which makes life difficult when choosing a bass

I also wonder how it compares quality wise to the Yamaha TRB5PII....which I think is top notch.

I have played a graphite necked bass for many years, and am looking to change. I want a versatile bass that's going to give me a fat, articulate tone...and has the ability to be either smooth or punchy. I play everything from Jazz to rock, pop, disco and funk in various bands.

Any comments on the pickups and pre would be interesting too.

BB2004 Spec
    Neck Through Maple / Mahogany
    Scale Length 864mm (34”)
    Fingerboard Rosewood
    Frets 24
    Radius 250mm (10”)
    Body Maple / Alder
    Bridge Yamaha Original BPX-7
    Pickups Yamaha Alnico Split x 1. Yamaha Alnico Stack x 1.
    Tuners Diecast
    Selector Switch N/A
    Control Knobs Master Volume, Balancer, 3-Band-EQ, Mid-cut Frequency, Mid-Cut On/Off Switch.
    Colours Yellow Natural Satin, Black, White

Thanks for your time

Attached Files:

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looks like it needs gold hardware. However, a very sexy bass.

New though, isn't it?
  3. Doodles

Sep 20, 2005
    I have found one of these for $1000 new in Natural Satin incl a case and am very tempted to pull the trigger ;)

I would,however, be interested in any other recommendation for basses to consider

I am looking for 4 string, versatile to play anything from Jazz to rock to funk. Punchy or smooth as required....but always fat and clear.

....I have around $2000 to spend on this. I recently missed out on a Lakland 4 94 on Ebay which I think may have been just the ticket. The MM / J config looks pretty versatile, as does the PJ on the Yammy.

My only experience really is with soapbars on my graphite necked bass.

I'm wanting to move away from graphite and get a thicker tone.

I quite like the idea of neck thru, but would consider bolt on etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions ;)