Yamaha BB3000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Any body have any experience with these basses? I found one for sale at a local music store for $425 used. I thought that was probably a little high.

The bass felt really good and I like the looks of it. I've been wanting to get another passive bass and I like the pickup configuration on this bass.

The only thing I didn't like was the color. I thought it might be fun to refinish it and make a project out of it. It also had gold hardware whish I can't stand.
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think they're outstanding basses. Both my teacher and I have one. I love mine, but I made some modifications to mine, like fretting it with Delrin (super-hard black plastic) frets, and putting an ABM bridge on it. Even with the stock electronics, which are kind of iffy, it sounds great.

For a less expensive 4 string bass, they make GREAT instruments. For around $225 you could put a new black/chrome ABM bridge on it and some Hipshot ultra-lites on it, and you'd have an outstanding instrument. If you bargain enough, you should be able to pick up the instrument for about $300, which is about the usual selling price these days. I'd buy it!
  3. Are the pickups standard P and J sizes? Can they be replaced with something better?
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes and yes, anything of your choice. For some reason, almost everyone I've heard who've replaced them have replaced them with EMGs. I have, as of yet, no plans to replace them.
  5. Oh, and another thing....This bass had a bolt-on neck. I have been searching for info on the web and it sounds like they made a neck-through model as well. Are they of equal quality?
  6. It's been my main bass for the last 15 years, extremely versatile with a very fast neck. I hated the original J pickup (too thin sounding to my ears), so I put EMGs in and love it. The J cavity takes a tiny bit of opening up with a dremel.
    The reason I went with EMGs was that I wanted an uncolored reproduction of what I heard when I put my ear and jawbone to the horn. I've never regretted it.

I've seen them sell for $350 up to $450 in good shape, a mint natural finish with emgs and OHC for $650 or so. Be sure to take a good look at the neck. Mine slowly developed a bit of a twist in it. I eventually fixed it with a fretboard leveling and refret. Good luck!

Hmmmm, I've never seen a BB3000 with a bolt on neck.
  7. Could the bolt on neck be a BB2000?
  8. OK, I'm an idiot. It's actually a BB1600. Got any info on those?
  9. Sorry CF, I don't really know much about them. If it's a PJ setup, I think the J is superior to the one they used later on. They were made in a period when Yamaha was making some nice basses.

If you really love the feel of the bass, go for it. However, there are some other pretty good bolt-ons out there for under $500.