1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha BB3000A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Dec 23, 2001.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Hi,
    I've got an opportunity to pick up a Yamaha BB3000A in mint condition, at least according to the seller, for $425.
    I know these basses have a good reputation and were pretty popular in the 80's, but I haven't played one....Any comments about this particular model?

Thanks

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    We just had a thread on this. Look on thread page 2/3.

3. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    That sounds like a very good deal on a great bass. The Yamaha BB series in the 80's were excellent sounding and playing basses.

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    "We just had a thread on this. Look on thread page 2/3."

I followed that thread before I put my question up. The discussion was actually about the passive version, with most replies about the less than perfect electronics, and actually ended up being a bolt-on BB1600.
    I was interested in comments about the neck-through BB3000A, with active electronics.

Thanks

5. The comments from players were about the neckthrough BB3000, so they apply (playability, hardware, etc). Even my comments about the passive p/up's may be of interest.

I've never played the active 3000, but if they follow the form of the earlier BBs, they have the same pickups as the passive model with a preamp. I just did a google search, found a picture and it looks like that is the case. Good luck.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I believe I just purchased the bass you guys are discussing... Hope I didn't yank the rug out from under anybody.

7. albass69

albass69

Dec 20, 2010
    acapulco
    I OWN THE ACTIVE VERSION AND I LOVE IT, NOT HAPPY WITH THE NECK PICK IP,IT LACKS OF PRESENCE BRIDGE PICKUP SOUNDS SO NICE AND SWEET