1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Yamaha BB350F P/J Fretless-Lined-EMGs

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by slap2much, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I bought two of these because I wanted to pair this lined fretless neck (dark rosewood and P-width but not too chunky) with the 18V EMG-loaded reverse P/J body. This neck is great, fret line inlays are not bright white but a little more subtle. Action currently is pretty low, truss moves and adjusts in both directions. Nice feel and balance. I've been trying out various fretless electriconics and I think this is about as versatile as it gets...the reverse P evens out the sound across the strings but still is 'thumpy' and the J brings in some crispness. Separate volumes for each plus a 3-way switch. Active cut/boost 2-band B/T really opens up the tonal spectrum. There is a tone pot (passive, probably left over from the original electronics set) which I don't think does anything, from what I've read though one could wire in a passive treble cut (traditional 'tone' control) pretty easily...haven't had the need myself as the active controls do a pretty good job imo. The bass weighs in at 10 lbs even, certainly not a lightweight but hangs on a strap nicely, balances well and is noticeably lighter than my '76 Jazz. (Yeah, I know, what isn't? But still, not that bad...)

So of course after enjoying the versatility I find myself wanting to go with a more 'acoustic-y' piezo tone on fretless (GAS is FICKLE!!), something in the Godin/Epi Zenith range probably. Installing a piezo bridge on this instrument is a possibility too, although I think the best solution is to leave it as a magnetic-pup loaded P/J and start over.

Issues/flaws: Not pristine. The finish on the body is not original. It's very smooth and feels great, but I do see some spots where the walnut-type stain is a little uneven. A few filled holes from a nonstandard bridge install are peeking out along the edges of the stock bridge currently mounted. The rear cover is homemade (works fine though) and there's an outline for what looks like an alternate cover shape (see pics). One of the small mounting screws on a tuning machine is missing (tuner is held very securely even without it). Currently strung with GHS Nylon Tapes, not for everyone but gives this bass a great woody tone. I will substitiute a set of Dunlop Nickels if you prefer more a 'rounds/mwah' tone and feel. Action is nice and low. I'll include the strap locks if you want them.

I'm looking for a [DEL]very reasonable[/DEL] incredibly dirt cheap [DEL]$320 $290 $255[/DEL] $225+shipping to the lower 48, I'll get exact amounts if you give me your zip but figure around $50 to the west coast, $35 to the east coast and $25-$30 to the middle part of the country (I'm in Chicago). PM with any questions etc...thanks.

Pics:

350FL-a.

350FL-b.

350FL-c.

350FL-d.

350FL-e.

350FL-f.

2. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Was asked about selling the bass without electronics...I'll deduct $85 for someone who wants just body+neck and strap buttons. Not wanting to sell the electronics before the rest of the bass though.

Also will ship in a Road Runner gig bag if you add $15.

3. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I also have the unlined fretless neck...was going to keep it to use as a platform for further experimentation but if you prefer unlined I can swap back, or for a few extra bucks I'll send it along for the ride.

FL.

4. What's going on w/the unlined neck's headstock?

5. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Looks like it was reshaped and then stained to match the body. From the base and tuners I believe it's the original Yamaha neck (though possibly with a replaced fretboard). I prefer the lined one...

6. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Another price drop, this is likely the final one. I might just have to drop that piezo and buffer preamp in if this doesn't sell.

7. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    bump.

8. bassinstincts

bassinstincts Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Acoustic Image
    Weight?

Thanks

9. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I did the "me+bass" - "just me" bathroom scale method and came up with 10 lbs on the nose.

10. bassinstincts

bassinstincts Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Acoustic Image
    Thanks. That's what I feared. Great looking (and great sounding, I am sure). Too heavy for me, unfortunately.

11. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    It's a pretty hefty instrument compared to some (I thought of the Wendler that you used to own, that was a featherweight). Apologies for not weighing and including that info earlier...I'll edit the original post to include that info.

12. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Still here. I took some measurements last night to mount a piezo bridge, but figured I'd give this a little longer on the boards first.

13. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Well, too lazy to either continue modding or really work at selling this...but...here's a mid-September-and-still-for-sale bump.

14. NewBirthBass

NewBirthBass

Oct 19, 2005
    Nice bass bro. I'm just seeng it. Let me talk to the accountant...aka my wife and see if I can take it off your hands. LOL.

15. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Sure, understood. I also have the wife / gear collection coexistence in effect. As one of my newlywed (former) drinking buddies said some time ago, "Dollar Guinness night? Sweet! Uh...let me just check in with the tower and see if I'm cleared for takeoff..."

16. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Bump. Anyone else in line on the runway?

17. Do you ship to Canada?

18. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Yes, I'll ship to Canada. If outside of the lower 48 I'll go with whatever carrier is cheapest unless you have a specific preference...

19. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.