1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB404 or SX P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassrikke, May 3, 2010.

1. bassrikke

bassrikke

May 3, 2010
    Hi fellows,

I'm thinking about buying an extra bass of good quality but in a low price category.

The 2 options I have are Yamaha BB404 or an SX Precision Vintage Bass. They're more or less the same price. I've been thinking about it for a few days now but I can't make the decision, so I ask your opinion.

Which one would you choose?

Thanks a lot,
    Bassrikke

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    im a really big fan of SX.
    i really love mine, having owned a jazz and a pj.
    personally id go SX.
    they are fine instruments, and most fender parts are a drop in,
    if you ever needed to upgrade it, and are easy to come by.

if you get one and its not your thing, kurt from rondo has a great return policy.
    (better than a pawn shop)

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    My first bass was a Yammy BB404 (still have it, though it doesn't see much use these days), as well as a few SX SJBs, an SPB and an SPJ. All of them are decent instruments. I am partial to the SXes, though, primarily for the neck. If you like thin necks get the Yammy, if you like 'em chunky, get the SX.

4. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    bb 404

5. bassrikke

bassrikke

May 3, 2010
    Thanks for the advice so far guys. Still, I'm getting contradictory info, so I would be very grateful for some more opinions ;)

Deadline of the sale is tomorrow afternoon so it would be great to hear from you!

6. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Given the choice I would go with the Yamaha. Better build quality and generally sounds great. It is also more bang for the money....

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yamaha makes great basses. My main player is a Yamaha BB605.

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I have a 404. Don't play it much, but if I needed to, it's a solid, gigable bass. I would however reconfigure the controls to have a master volume.
    The V/V/T thing doesn't cut it in my book, but I understand it from a manufacturing POV. I would also replace the jack as it's a bit loose and the cable can pull out easily if you're not aware of it. I think there was a thread on the jack issue a short while back.

9. bassrikke

bassrikke

May 3, 2010
    You've been a great help boys, thanks (I'm only playing for 8 months so I could use some advice about this purchase;) )

I just bought a Yamaha BB404 in perfect condition for only 150 euros :bassist: