Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BB405 sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 8va, Mar 6, 2006.

1. 8va

8va

Jul 16, 2004
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me what kind of sound comes from a Yamaha BB405 (5 string)? What I'm looking for is a bass with a solid heavy "thump" and NOT a sharp twangy (jazz?) sound.

I've been told a BB405 is a "thumper"! but have never heard one.
    Looking at pics, the nearest pickup to the neck is well, not that near. The nearer to the neck (from my sound point of view) the better - but please - if you know, let me know here.

Any other comments about this bass welcome - I know it's not exactly in the high-spec department but I think it's a solid instrument and maybe fitting good strings and a better pickup is worth considering.
    Thanks

2. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I play a BB404F, which is the four string fretless version of that bass.

First off, these basses are freaking awesome, particularly as a value. I really like the overall quality of the construction, the feel of the neck, and the body shape. As a comparison, I think mine is better constructed than most MIM Fenders, I like the sound more (although it's not really as much of a classic jazz), and I personally like the body shape more, as heretical as that sounds.

I'd say my bass sounds kind of like a slightly modern Jazz. I don't think it quiete has the same midrange focus as a jazz, but it has an overall smoother frequency response, I find. But it also doesn't sound like it has barts and an active EQ either. It doesn't have as much definition in the highs, or the low-mid warmth.

While the neck pickup isn't exactly thin, it doesn't sound like a pbass either. Again, without the midrange characteristics of a real jazz, it might work for you, particularly with a little amp-side eq.

I haven't played the 5, so I have no idea how the B is.

Anyhow, I recommend giving it a try if you can.

3. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    I tried out the BB405L (lefthanded) quite a few years ago, but I didn`t do that much difference from my Yamaha RBX350 (fit with BEAD-strings). The RBX seemed more thighter, so I saved up and bought a TRB instead, which made a huuuge difference.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I had a 405(passive) but now have the 605 (active). The pickups are very strong but I would lean toward more of a jazz sound as compared to a p bass type thumper. Since it uses single coils, the use of the neck pup results in the sound you may be after but at the cost of additional single coil hum. I shielded everything but it didn't totally alleviate the hum while using anything but an equal blend of both pups.
    Same with the 605 but I put carvin stacked humbuckers in it so I can use either pup independently if I so choose without the hum issues. You might want to try the bb415 which is the p/j 5 string version or the active bb615.

5. 8va

8va

Jul 16, 2004
    Thanks that's really useful info.

Is it a big deal to fit new pickups to the 405? I'm ok on the electronics side of things but not so confident about cutting wood on the instrument!

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    A set of bartolini's and the carvins both were drop ins.