Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BB414 and BB614

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DerVedel, May 7, 2005.

1. Just tried out these basses and my buddy (tb=Hou) and I are completely gassing! We tried a few of the same model to see if Yamaha just got lucky on the one we started playing. But no! They were all amazing! Some of them were just out of the box and were just killer.

Nothing to notice on the build quality - craftsmanship. The playability on this bas was awesome and very smooth. The sound, I mean THE SOUND! My God. When you had the two pickups blended there was an excellent slapbass sound with big balls to go with it. Solo the neck-pickup and you had a very smooth deep p-sound. The instrument was very clear and with the active preamp you could change it dramatically litteraly with the flick of the wrist ;)

We played through an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 but also some Eden stuff and EBS HD350 with neo 2x12 and 2x10 just to make sure it wasn't the Ampeg that produced this lovely noice. It wasn't. These basses ROCK. The active model it just a tad more punch in it and also the active preamp is very flexible. But the passive was also very very nice. We tried one B-string that was kind of floppy but after some tuning it was much better. I noticed that the brigde on the B-string was significantly moved back with respect to the other four.

In the shop we also tried Stingray 5, Fender P Highway (in fact very nice), Fender J '75 limited edition, Fender J QMT 4 and 5. Maybe it was due to poor setup on the high-end Fenders but we have to admit that the Yamaha kicked these booties for sure.

If you have to opportunity go out and give them a try. I promise you that you'll be surprised at just how MUCH value you get for money. It's redicoulous!

It has to be said that Hou usually plays Fodera Monarch but he was completely blown away of the quality, sound, look and last but not least the VERY low price. If I'm not mistaken he will buy one on monday when the shop opens again.
    I'm thinking of selling my Fender J MIA Deluxe now, getting a BB614 to stand beside my Sadowsky Metro Ultra vintage 5(on order). Wouldn't that be a sight? :smug:

Now if you only could get the active in orange... Now that would be funky!

2. Yeah! Funky as h...! I will be getting one soon :D

3. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I tried the 614 and 615 a couple of weeks back. The 4 string version is great - the sounds are really nice, it's a got a great neck, and all up a terrific package for the money. The preamp was probably the weak point, but, again, for the money, it's quite acceptable. I wasn't quite as impressd with the 615 (5 string), as I thought the B was a bit weak. I've always thought that Yamaha's forté was being able to create good quality instruments for people on a smaller budget, and they've certainly continued the tradition with these instruments. I just want to try the passive version out before I buy one.

4. I'm lovin your post, I'm a newbie, I went out with a bass player, he played the same simple riff on a bunch of affordable basses for me, I bought the Yahama BB 414 (orange metalic). I was amazed. There was a used Fender P-bass in excellent shape, that I almost bought, cause the Fender rumble 100 bass amp (The Big Daddy) already sold me on the amp, thought the Fender with Fender was an obvious choice, but when buddy picked up that Yamaha, damn. The sound was amazing, I mean I can't play very good yet, but he played the same riff everytime, the Yamaha was the only one that blew me away (i stayed $500 or less Canadian). Anyway, this Yamaha BB 414 is exactly what I was lookin for (I just never knew that I'd be gettin a Yamaha).

:bassist:
    Pipes on Bass :bassist:

5. Me again, just lettin you know, the reason the Fender amp sold me was, I got a steal, $300 Canadian retail $450! But the Yamaha BB 414 sounded good on the 60 watt amps (Ampeg, another Fender, Randolph, etc...) as well as the more expensive 100 watt amps (simillar brands, i didn't go over 100 watts - didn't want to temp myself too much, cause I spend, lol). But it just sounded good on everything, nothin else was close (again didn't even touch any bass over $500 Canadian). I didn't know what I was lookin for until I found it, and I never thought I'd be rockin a Yamaha on Fenders "Big Daddy", but damn, I'm lovin it! :bassist:
    Oh, and the colours, damn nice, like I said, I got the Orange Metalic, it's deadly lookin!

Pipes on bass :bassist:

6. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
  7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Feh, now I have to order the passive one. But no! I have to save for Alembic stuff (refin, new nut, power source)!... Can't I get both :(?

8. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    anybody know which stores are carrying these at the moment? haven't found any in boston area yet.

9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    niceeeeeeeeee thread,am happy because maybe i buy my new baby in two days and you help me a lot,Yamaha is in my wish list and i go for my new baby...thankssssssss am happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :bassist:

10. You're very welcome. I trust you will be very satisfied with your choice. Congrats

11. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005
    Hmm...The Controls for the active seem so freaking complicated...(5 knobs) but what do you mean it has a tad more punch??

i plan to get teh passive (bb414) since the controls are dead simple...:meh:

But how does the sound compare?? :confused:

and i still dont get wth is the difference between the active and the passive...:confused:

:help:

12. I've got the BB414 and man it's a great bass. Great sound, great feel, great playability and yes that metallic orange with it's vintage style shape gives it a great look. Oh yeah, great price also. I chose it over a MIM Fender Jazz bass. A Guitarist who played in the Australian hard rock band The Angels had a look and listen the other week and even he said it was a great bass. When I told him I chose it over the MIM Jazz he said without a doubt that I made the right decision to get the BB414.

13. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    The biggest advantage of the 614 to the 414 is the pickup blend control, which works very smooth. I play the BB615 and love the sound of both pickups with the blend little towards the bridge pickup. This is the sound I dig most and it can not be achieved with the 415. The EQ sounds best flat so you will have only two potis to work with. If you like to slap the 614 is the better choice. For me the BB6.. are the better allround basses and the BB4.. are more rock orientated.

14. I'm seriousily considering the fretless 614. I just need to find one to test drive. I hope I find the neck comfortable. Appears to be a big bang for the buck. Major GAS!

15. dumbassist

dumbassist

Sep 5, 2005

I can't Believe u are comparing it with fodera, sadowsky and a fender j MIA DELUXE!!!:eek:

its that gd??:eyebrow:

16. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005

The BBs are far from being high-end but I played one and it really felt good, and to me there is nothing more important to a bass than to feel good. Ah, they are also comfortable.