Yamaha BB414 good novice bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sjleland, Dec 22, 2005.

1. sjleland

Nov 12, 2005
    I'm a beginning bassisst looking for a flexible bass that is beginner friendly but can serve me for years to come. I have a friend with a Yamaha BB414 and I'm going to try his sometime, what interested me was the P/J pickup setup. Any opinions on this bass or yamaha in general? Thanks
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    If I were to buy a passive 4 string, it would be a BB414 - Metalic Orange.
    My only bass right now is a Yamaha BB605. I really like it. Yamaha makes great stuff. Buy with confidence.
  3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    everything Yamaha is amazing! The model you are looking at is based off of an 80s model GIANT that is excellent for all styles. It is more than adequate for a novice.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :bassist: +1 on Yammy BB series.
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I was vey impressed by the sound and feel of the BB414 I played last month. Very remiscent of the great '80s BB series. I thought its tone was quite a bit fatter than the active BB614. I'd like to check out the 5 string versions of these.
  6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I haven't tried that model, but I've owned (and still own) several other Yamahas, both RBX and BB series. And I've been known (both here and elsewhere) to suggest Yamahas to younger players in just your situation.

Good choice! :bassist:
  7. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Ive owned 3 yamahas and they are great instruments for the money. I havent played a BB414, put I did play a BB1000 which was the cheaper of the michael anthony signature models and exactly the same setup as the 414...and it had awesome tone and played great.