Yamaha BB414 Pup Replacement Options?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IJBurns, Apr 13, 2017.

1. IJBurns

IJBurns

Apr 14, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    So, I dug my 10 year old Yamaha BB414 out of the closet (why did I ever stop playing this beautiful thing!?) and I'm looking to throw a new set of pups on her. The bass still sounds great, kinda, but the pickups definitely have some rust building up, especially where the coating on the bridge pup has disintegrated. Who, if anyone, makes some direct replacements? If there are no direct replacements, will any Fender P/J replacement set from any brand fit? I love the tone of the original Yamahas and don't want to stray too far from it if at all possible. Thanks!

2. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Those pickups look to be the same as the ones on the BB424x. Most aftermarket manufacturers don't make pickups to fit those BB series with the metal plate. Yamaha has a different shape and different size cut out. You could replace them with standard Jazz and Precision pickups, but there will be a large gap around the pickups.

Another option is find a good pickup winder that can rewind your current pickups to the specs you want with the type of wire you want. Thus for a lot less than a new set, you'll have turned your stock pickups into a set of custom pickups that will sound great.

Yet another option, you could email Yamaha in the US and see if they can replace the pickups. Or, if you can find a used set from the later model BB series that used the metal plates they should fit.

And if all this is too much to deal with, you could just go for the real vintage relic look, and leave them be. And, let nature and age take its course. After all, BB basses sound great without any mods.

IJBurns likes this.
  3. IJBurns

IJBurns

Apr 14, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I'll just live with the rust then because I don't want to lose the Yamaha vibe. Thanks!

Badwater likes this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    From personal experience, Yamaha will supply pickups to their instruments. The 414-family of basses have proprietary pickups. The P pickup is set in a wider surround, whereas the bridge pickup is rounder than a Jazz pickup. If you were feeling creative you could take a Jazz bass pickup, pop the cover off and trim the flatwork to fit in the Yamaha cover, having removed the guts of the Yamaha pickup first.

IJBurns likes this.
  5. IJBurns

IJBurns

Apr 14, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Good to know! It's hard to beat the BB bridge pup "burp" and the neck pup solo'd is P tone heaven. Thanks gentlemen!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021