Yamaha BB414 vs Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shane6969, Feb 7, 2006.

1. I'm getting back into playing Bass after a 10 year break, and I'm in the market for buying a new bass. The two that I've narrowed it down to are the Yamaha BB414 and the Fender MIM Jazz Bass. I'm not 100% sure yet about which one to get as they both have their pro's and con's. (I'm leaning towards the BB414 ever so slightly).
    I was wondering what Bass everyone else would get, as I value your opinions.

Cheers and thanks,

2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Two different basses imho. Try out both and then try out both again until you decide which one feels and sounds the best to you.
  3. I've had both, and for me as a Yamaha fan it's the 414 every time. I'ts more versatile, and quality control is generally better than the MIM Pbass. My MM Pbass had to be upgraded to the hilt before I was happy, the Yamaha needed nothing, except maybe a better bridge.
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota

I picked a BB414 over a Jazz and am very happy. Same reasons as above. I've thought about changing the bridge, but I don't think I will. It's a great bass.
  5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

The Yamaha will have better QC (Fretwork & Electronics) than the MIM Fender and will be a tad more versatile from a tone standpoint.

The one thing about the Yamaha that may be a downside to you is that pickup switching is done via a 3-position toggle (neck, both, bridge.) Some people prefer to have either a blend pot or separate volume pots for each pup.

This was a non-issue for me but YMMV.
  6. stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    can i ask what type of bridge would be the best upgrade for the Yamaha?
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yam for sure. I like most Yams I pick up and on the other end, most Mex Fenders I pick up play like a$$. I did say most, but not all. There are some gems out there, but most blow...
  8. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I would say Yamaha all the way. I played one and was amazed at how much bass you get for so little money.
  9. Thanks heaps for the replies guys, very much appreciated. I'm about to leave to go to the City (Melbourne) right now and try them both out. I'll let you know which one I go for.

10. I just bought the Yamaha BB414 in Metallic Orange. It felt better and sounded better for me personally. Quite a good bass for the price, in fact I think it was the best bass they had in the sub $1200 AUD bracket. It cost me $679 Australian Dollars (RRP $799 AUD). The MIM Jazz was RRP $1195 AUD.
    Once again, thanks for the advice guys.:hyper: :bassist:

11. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Welcome to the club, mate -- you made an excellent choice! :cool:

You do realize however, that without pictures the bass does not exist! :ninja:
  12. No doubt you made the best decision. Considering the outrageous prices on Fenders here in Australia and the relevtively low prices (comparitively) for Yamahas, there's almost no contest every time.

Plus the BB414 is a fantastic bass in its own right.
  13. Thanks guys. I feel within myself that I made the right decision (for me personally).
    This is the first bass I've bought for many years. The ones I used to have (The wife persuaded me to sell them to help get a deposit for the house) were an early 70's Fender Musicmaster, a Kramer Striker ST900 (I think) and a Maton JB4. The Yamaha seems to be right up there with these ones, if not better.
    IoataNet, I'll buy a throwaway camera, take the pic, get it developed, then scan it, then I'll post it here mate ASAP. (I haven't had a proper camera for a few years).

14. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    After buying tons of expensive/nice basses, I have realized that its up to the player more than the bass in groove. I am actually buying BOTH of the models you listed except a 514 not 414.

You truly can't go wrong with either. Yamaha has better customer service. They both feel, play, and sound great! Tough call... Flip a coin!
  15. Here's my BB414. A very nice looking bass.

I have a cool MIM Jazz with Nordstrands, but if I had to choose an unmodded bass for all-purpose use, I'd go with the BB.
  16. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Looks just like mine. Quickly becoming my main bass.
  17. Good choice mate, you won't regret it.
  18. JLTwarwick

Feb 9, 2006
    I've never been a Fender fan. Maybe because when I started playinng back in the 70's that's the brand everyone tried to cram down your throat. To me they have no snap or tone, too muddy. Great for laying down a non-descript boom boom, but not for "music". I did try out every Fender around when I bought my first brand new guitar long ago, and walked out with a Yamaha BB2000. Still own it, always will. It resides under the bed now since I went Warwick 6 string, but I'm still not a fan of Fender. You done good kid. ;)
  19. plax

Feb 9, 2013
    Old thread, but it helps me with the decision of getting a BB414 and I couldn't be more happy with it! Definitely a better bass than some MIM P's and J's I've played.
  20. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    Good move Plax, and maybe an old thread but not old news. Nothing against Fender, I have a couple, but bang for buck the BB414 is just way out in front. I'm always amazed at the level of bass these are. Good luck with it, Lee......