1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha BB415/615 bass owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Apr 29, 2009.

1. hey all, I'm wondering if you could share your experiences with the Yamaha BB415 and 615. I watched a video recently (for the curious) and there was some killer tone happening. I know there are a lot of variables when it comes to recorded tone and videos but the dude plays Yamaha basses exclusively (his other bass is a Nathan East sig in black) and tends to achieve the same tone on all his tracks.

Anyhow, what's the neck like on those basses? Like a jazz or a precision? string spacing?

thanks!

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I recently picked up a BB415 & I'm glad I did.

The neck is satin-finished & very comfortable to play. As far as if the neck's more J or P like? Neither really, IMHO. Hard to describe. Not too thick, not too thin. I'm sure this description really helps! :rolleyes: :smug: The fingerboard profile is pretty flat though, so if your used to a Fender-style profile it may take some getting used to.

Sound-wise you can coax a lot of different tones out of it - from a very convincing Precision tone, to a burpy Jazz bridge pickup tone. Slap tone is voiced a little differently than I'm used to hearing, but it works. Overall, the bass cuts through nicely in a live setting. My bandmates love the tone!

Just a great, passive, well made workhorse of a bass. Great "bang for the buck" value, too.

Here's a good link for you to also check out: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222112&highlight=bb415

3. LOL, thanks for the link, I made a comment about the looks in the 3rd post! I guess I am a little kinder to the look now

4. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    :eek: Shame on you! :)

No worries, man. Tastes change!

But if you can get past the looks of it, :smug: it really is a great bass.

5. LOL it's just funny to me :D
    I am not sure my tastes relate to others, I tend to prefer pink basses :p

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I'm looking into picking up a BB415 too. I never had the chance to play one, but from the reviews I've read they seem to be pretty awesome.