1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB424 or Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doctormoose87, Jun 1, 2011.

1. doctormoose87

doctormoose87

Feb 12, 2011
    Hereford UK
    Hi All

Looking to buy another bass at some point. Had to sell my previous P Bass dude to lack of funds. Now having owned and loved my p bass I was quite happy to buy another one. Until the Yamaha BB424x caught my eye.

Does anyone have experience with the yammy before I fork over my cash?

Cheers

2. I have a BB1024X. Love it.

outoftune likes this.
  3. basslust

basslust

Apr 18, 2011
    Mass
    I haven't tried it myself (not yet released in USA) but I've read a lot about it and it seems to have really outstanding reviews. I have played the BB414 and 614 (414 is the most similar model) and they are quality instruments for sure.

4. At their respective price points, I'd definitely snag the Yamaha over a MIM Std P-bass. Whole lot more bass for the money, plus the versatility of the PJ setup.

I'm trying to find a BB424x as a backup for my AmDlx P-bass, in fact. I'd actually love the 1024x, but can't find them anywhere.

5. doctormoose87

doctormoose87

Feb 12, 2011
    Hereford UK
    Cool Thanks guys :)

I used to own an RBX170 as my 2nd bass when I started playing and really liked the neck on it.

Must try and find one now to play.

Cheers

6. definatly the yammy. i also have an rbx170, my very first bass infact and i still love it to death.. outstanding bass for the price. played the 270 once and it was also fantastic. i'm sorry but i had to go off on a tangent on this one, cause of how rediculously under rated they are.

not honestly sure about the bb's a whole lot cause i've only tried the 614, which was decent. but i'm really curious about this 424x.. looks almost exact to the other bb models they recently released (the ones that are like 2-3 grand)..definatly a looker.

7. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Fenders are a known quality and it goes without saying they're good... but Yamahas are quality, too and we all need a little variation. I say be different and go with the Yammy.

8. bass rocks

bass rocks

Nov 15, 2010
    i am supprized that some people cant find just look on musicianS friend because they ARE AVALIEBLE IN THE USA

9. There. Fixed it for you.

To the OP:

I have the Yamaha BB415 to which I have had a John East U-Retro fitted.

When I got the original passive instrument, I was deeply impressed by the ease of playing, once I had set up the neck & string height to my preference.

Another thing was the evenness of response from each string across both pickups. The bridge pickup is excellent and is in no way overpowered by the P pickup, which is very close to the Fender 'P' position, so this is a good Precision substitute.

Adding the John East U-Retro expanded the tonal abilities to cover pretty much anything you'd need.

For me (I'm 65) this is The Last Bass!!

Geoff

10. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    One thing going for an MIM P bass or a Squier CV or VM is that you have more options for upgrade parts compared to the BB414/BB424, especially with regards to the pickups.

11. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    This is a good point for fans of mods. I find that, the older I get, the less interested I am in aftermarket stuff and the more I just want a great bass stock. I happen to love Yamahas just like they are. Actually, I like Fenders just the way they are and Squiers, which, back in the day, were total mod platforms, are quite awesome right out of the box.

Hmm... that's an interesting idea, isn't it?

12. What's the difference between the Yamaha BB424 and Yamaha BB424x?

13. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I own a BB415 and a '50s Classic P. Both are tremendous instruments in their own rights, and I'd never get rid of either. I use the P primarily for Motown stuff. But the P/J configuration on the BB provides a plethora of tonal options that are simply not available on the P. If you haven't already seen it, Mik75's recent video demo of the BB425X is worth watching. Check it out here.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Newer BBs are good but 80s models are fantastic and you get them for peanuts.
    A neckthru, ebony fretboard BB1000 can be caught for less than 500.
    I'd venture this way.

Like with anything non Fender, the main issue with BBs is that they're hard to resell.

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Y'all do realize the OP was five years ago, right?

16. The Yamaha is a pretty cool bass, saw one at the store. BUT the Fender is timeless. The Yamaha will eventually will get discontinued & it will not be as desirable

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

And it matters why?
    We post to boost our egos, not to help anyone.

18. hrodbert696

tru dat

19. hrodbert696

And to the more recent actual question -

The main differences I'm aware of are a five-piece neck and a pickguard. I believe otherwise they're largely the same bass. I have a BB415 (5 string version of the 424) and would recommend them heartily. Great throaty P bass tone, great workmanship, affordable. The only downside is that BB does stand for "broad body" and they're not exactly the lightest basses on the market. Not T40 hang-an-aircraft-carrier-around-your-neck heavy, but not good for the bad back crowd.

Nunovsky likes this.
  20. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    The diference is the looks. BB424x has a pickguard and a metal plate where the controls are placed. The rest is the same.

I've had a Yamaha BB424x and I loved that bass so much that I've traded it for a BB1024x.
    Great, great bass. For me it's the best price/quality bass in the market in the P-bass range. It's price range is in squire's land but it overtops these because of the build quality and the sound.

That neck pickup is a killer, and because it's a PJ it an be really verastile.

I have to tell you that I wouldn't trade my BB1024x for any Fender, MIM MIJ or MIA.

ogiebb and hrodbert696 like this.