1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha BB424X -- What's with that hum?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmlee, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    So today I went into our local Long & McQuade store and blew half an hour trying out basses I'd never played before. I've next to no experience with Yamaha basses but heard lots of good things, so I decided to give a couple a whirl. When I picked up a Yamaha BB424X and plugged it in, the hum with the bridge (single coil) was ridiculous. There was some hum with the split-coil neck pickup and next to none with both. What's with that?

I'll note for reference that none of the other basses I tried out today displaying anything like the same RF problem. Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez, Fender. Big music stores have lots of fluorescents so it's not a bad place to sort out this sort of issue.

Was that just a dud Yamaha or does that bass have issues?

2. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Ed Friedland noted that hum when testing out a Yamaha BB2025X at 2:20

3. I've heard some people complain about it but i don't experiment any with my 424x.

Could they not be all wired the same ??

4. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    Yeah it's just single coil hum that I also experience a bit of on my 1025X. It doesn't bother me at all.

5. To the folks who have hum on their bass. If it's a B note (60 Hz), you can buy the EHX Hum Debugger which will remove this annoying hum and bring your bass back to it's great sounding glory. BTW, I have a Yamaha BB5GS which I've used the Hum Debugger to remove the hum.

6. rarcauto67

rarcauto67

Jul 22, 2013
    Columbus Ohio
    I played the BB424X red today through several Mark Bass Combos and it sounded great. No hum . I bought that same bass an hour later! Love it:D