1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB424X

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan_faber, Feb 18, 2013.

1. ryan_faber

ryan_faber Guest

Feb 18, 2013
    As a bass, is it worth it? To anyone who owns ones, are you satisfied?

2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
  3. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
  4. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I just bought a sunburst one, here on TB, a few weeks ago - and I love it...especially the satin-finished neck. It's got the typical p/j tone - but the only option on the stock bass is a 3-way toggle. Right now, that's fine, but down the road, I may convert it to a V/B/T setup, like my other basses.

It's got the typical well-crafted Yamaha fit and finish, and the electronics are smooth and responsive. The 424 is the least-expensive (and least-advanced) of the BB xx24 line. The 1024 is a step up (better hardware, pickups, and splined body), and then 2024 is top-of-the-line.

So happy am I with my $260 Yammy, that I decided to sand down the neck on my Fender Jazz, to try to give it the same satiny feel. Now, i even like my Jazz better. It's a great, great bass...for me.

Attached Files:

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a BB415, five-string version of the previous incarnation, and I've got to say it's a fabulous instrument. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a BB424x if I were in the market for a four-string.

6. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I have one and paid full price new. It's absolutely worth it. It's a great bass, very versatile sound, and plays very well too. The only downside to yamahas is the resale value, but I plan to keep this one forever (it was a wedding gift from my wife) so that doesn't bother me.

7. I have one and its great. Neck is a bit chunky and has a slightly unfinished (needs a bit more smoothing i reckon) feel but feels good to grab hold of when youre digging in a bit. The bass is very resonant and feels rock solid. Great zingy sound, very strong and punchy.
    You'll love it.

8. ryan_faber

ryan_faber Guest

Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks! I'm only hesitant because of the stiff price difference between the 424 and 1024. Kind of like the Standard Precision and the American Standard Precision, you know?

9. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    The only issue I have with the 400 & 1000 series of BBs, is that the neck pockets are a little too spacious; gaps in the neck pocket.

I've had my hands on six different instruments and I'd say you could easily fit a credit card in the pocket of 4 of them.

10. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    What's the price range that you were interested in?

I think you're right in the comparison with the fender series', same bass, just different levels of quality to fit your budget.

I will say that I also have a stingray5, and I don't notice a difference in quality between the two.