Yamaha BB450 Problem... Seeks Advice

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RobertUI, Apr 8, 2005.

1. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I recently purchased this bass on eBay (#7309500458) mainly to have a much desired (by me) early 80s yamaha at a fairly reasonable price. I didn't really want the active pickups, so I figured that I could sell them and make the bass even cheaper. Once I got the bass, I realized that the problems described with the neck make the neck almost worthless.

The neck had the frets pulled from it (poorly) at one point in its life, and they were then re-inserted (by the seller I assume) with epoxy. :crying: None of the frets were level, which was evidenced by the fact that when I tried to do an initial setup, I could never get the thing to stop buzzing, regardless of how I set the neck, truss rod, bridge etc. I put a straight edge on it, and my suspicions were confirmed.

I am seeking some serious advice here. I have pulled the lowest 6 frets (using the techniques that have been described here) and have managed to not further the damage, but before I continued, I wanted to know what you all would suggest. The neck suffered some serious damage (to the fretboard) when the frets were initially removed.

Here's what I can offer, I have a lot of background with woodworking and finishing, and am willing to take the time/effort required to complete this. I do NOT want to put any real money into this neck b/c I have other interests. Thanks in advance for your help! :bassist: This is NOT a for sale or trade post, but I am seriously putting this back on eBay in it's present condition, so if something interests you let me know.