Yamaha BB5000A 5 string vs. Läkland Darryl Jones signature skyline

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kristianbl, Sep 4, 2010.

1. kristianbl

kristianbl

Sep 9, 2009
    Denmark
    Any comments on which of the two basses i should buy??? How are the different in sound, feel and quality?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What made you consider these two basses? They are very different. What sound do you like and what do you play now?

3. kristianbl

kristianbl

Sep 9, 2009
    Denmark
    I mainly play rock, pop, soul, R´n´B and funk. I´ve got the Läkland DJ signature skyline and it sounds and works great. Asking about the Yamaha BB5000A because I have an opportunity to buy one for about 1385 dollars.
    Over the years I have herd some great things about the BB5000A, but never tried one.
    Any comments on how the two basses are different?

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Where do you live? That is very high for an older used bass. You should be able to get one for about half that much money. They are great basses if you want one.

Dave Neal likes this.
  5. kristianbl

kristianbl

Sep 9, 2009
    Denmark
    I live i Denmark, Europa. The prices here are extremly high, even for a used bass. (In Denmark) its a pretty rare bass, so its not often you get a chance to buy one

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess it boils down to whether you want a P/J sound or Jazz bass sound. Either will serve you just fine.:bassist:

7. bassarama

bassarama

Sep 14, 2006
    Toronto
    Save your money and get a BB5000 passive.

YAMAHA active circuitry is very noisy and chintzy sounding in these models (BB3000A, BB3000F and BB5000F)

Nathan East helped to design the BB5000. The first full production 5 string and the ONLY 5 string ever produced that is 24 fret, ebony board, and PASSIVE. The ONLY.

In fact Nathan East himself has never played a BB5000A and for good reason. Get a passive BB bass from this period and try to get a YAMAHA NE-1 outboard preamp (also rare and discontinued August 2006). That is the sound !!!!

I sent a bass from my town to Switzerland earlier this summer a white BB5000 ( passive ) and I have a friend who sent a white BB5000 to Germany shortly after also.

YES YAMAHA BB series are big in Europe and have never really caught on as they should have in the US.

AVOID the A series BB basses. trust me on this

here are the classic tone monsters ( and rarer and MUCH BETTER sounding than the A-active series )

Broad Bass
    BB2000
    BB3000 ( very rare )
    BB5000
    That's it my friend. Straight up and that is coming from a YAMAHA endorser from the golden 80's. I've owned 6 of them.

PM me if you want more info on a black BB5000 that may be available as well as the rare NE-1 preamp

Levin likes this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think more people in the US like the BB series than you think! I had a BB2000 and I loved it with a passion!

THE only thing that kept me from getting a BB5000 when they first came out was the price.

9. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    In america BB5000A stood for the model with wider string spacing as well. Somewht confusing since BB5000A also stood for the active version.

10. kristianbl

kristianbl

Sep 9, 2009
    Denmark
    Thanks for the replies.
    Think I´m going to keep my Läkland. Its sound great, are a joy to play and looks good.

11. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Not to derail this thread too much, but how does the BB5000 compare to the BB415 (which can still be purchased new)?

It looks like the 415 is bolt-on vs neck-thru, the 415 is 21 frets and rosewood board vs 24 frets and ebony.

But they're both alder?

Are the pickups the same?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021