Yamaha BB5000A wide neck pickup/preamp options?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GlueKill, Mar 30, 2018.

1. 28434226_139404000217317_2201384010096050176_n.jpg

I recently got this and while I love how it plays, I have not quite gotten the sounds I want out of the pickups. It sounds like it may have a grounding issue and the treble potentiometer feels like it is full of molasses or something. From what I gather, these are active pickups so you can't just ditch the preamp. I might be looking into replacing either the preamp or switching to a passive system.

The BB5000 has passive pickups and I really do like its sound which is why I am floating the idea of switching to a passive system.

As far as I know, the passive version only was available with a narrow neck. The wide neck Yamaha basses of this vintage have a unique pickup shape which limits replacement options without potentially routing the body and I am trying to avoid that.

The TRB 5P I think is the only other model Yamaha made that uses active pickups that shape. It also has a fancier preamp but those still wind up being replaced. The Yamaha Attitude Standard 5 and older RBX5 use passive pickups that are the same shape.

The thought of buying one of those just to gut it seems a bit extreme but the only aftermarket pickups I could find are made by MAMA which would cost about the same as an entire Attitude 5 or RBX5.

This was the only sound sample I was able to find of the MAMA pickups.

Any thoughts? Tips? Pointers?

raal likes this.
  2. BTW I own a BB424 that I love. If it was mine I would strip it and shield the total of the cavities with copper foil (conductive adhesive) including a ground contact patch under the bridge. Then change out the defective pot. Put it back together and work from that point. Try to fix your suspected faults first.

Laurence

raal likes this.
  3. The Yamaha currently is being gone over by the guy who sorted out my Ibanez SRF705 prototype's finicky electronics. I may be mistaken, but it looks like replacement potentiometers for the BB5000A preamp are not the easiest to find due to the oddball shaft length.

4. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    Congrats, on the 5000!!!
    Your Luthier might try cleaning the pots, first, with De-Oxit, before replacing. He may already have. . Just my two cents worth. The shielding is also a safe bet... You will know if the pickups are active, if they have leads, connected, to the battery. Just need to do some tracing.. .
    Good luck, and enjoy that Yammy!! !

GlueKill likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021