Yamaha bb604 VS Yamaha bb1000 MA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jokerman, Sep 8, 2004.

What would you choose it?

Poll closed Sep 15, 2004.
  1. Yamaha bb604 370€

4 vote(s)
  2. Yamaha bb1000 MA 400€

8 vote(s)
  1. Jokerman

Sep 8, 2004
    Hello, I am a beginner who is going to buy his first bass :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: . And I have got two candidates:

Yamaha bb604 ---> 370 € (about 448$)
    Yamaha bb1000MA ---> 400 € (about 484$)

The bb604 is active, and the 1000ma passive, but the bb1000 has marked down to 400€ from list of 700€!
    I'm gonna play Ac/Dc, Beatles, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Status Quo... but I want a versatil bass too (so I think the bb604 is a better option because is active... but the bb1000 ma costed 700€, even more in other shops!) Well the question is:

¿What bass do you think is better for me? ¿What bass would you choose? :help: :help:

Thank you, and sorry for my english, I am Spanish
  2. I would go with the 604, even if you want to play old school stuff you can always dial something very close to that type of one with active electronics, on the other hand, if you really like the tone of the MA an think it fits your music well you should go for it.. I just think the 604 will be more versaile in the long run, but both are pretty nice basses...
  3. Jokerman

Sep 8, 2004
    Thank you so much for the fast answer. More or less I think like you, the bb604 is more versatile than the other, but don´t you think the 1000ma is a better bass? I say it for the old price and some reviews, so I have many doubts, and what is more, surely I will be able to play yamaha bb604, but I think that I won't find the bb1000 ma in my city (it is a old bass and out of stock, I think), and I cann´t compare them :crying: :crying:
    More opinions?
  4. Jokerman

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, I have read some reviews that say the bb1000ma is versatil despite is rock oriented. I doubt it. What do you think? I need opinions, I need :help:

Thank you very much
  5. Jokerman

Sep 8, 2004
    Sorry for the bump, but I'm going to order next week :hyper: and I would like to know more opinions :hyper:
  6. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    I don't have experience with the two basses you mention, but my housemate has a late-90's BBG5S, so I definitely think the Yamaha BB basses are great basses. I love the way my housemate's bass sounds and the feel of the neck. His is active, so he can dial in all kinds of tones from traditional to modern. I found a really nice articulate modern rock tone on it myself. Plus it has a nice easy-access battery compartment so changing the battery doesn't require me to unscrew the cavity plate. I definitely like the stock Yamaha electronics.

Do the current 604's have an easy access battery compartment as well?

Otherwise one big advantage of a passive bass over an active one is that there is no chance of a battery dying on you during a gig. More premium basses have a passive bypass, but I don't know if the 604 has one.