Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BB605/BBN5L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plucky, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    hallo!

i was checking out musiciansfriend.com and saw the yamaha bb605, and i like it a lot, but dunno about its sound and playability. but im left handed so i didnt know if i could find it anywhere around here to see how it looks so i also found the bbn5l and i think its pretty much the same as the bb605 or maybe the 405 but lefty and black. so i got some questions i hope you guys can answer:

- they are 'the same'? is the bbn5l the same as the bb605 or bb405? what are the main differences?

- have you ever played one? and how it feels, sounds, plays, etc?

- they have a good b string? (thats important for me cause if its not a good fiver im not switching at all)

danke

2. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I played it last week and I just adore the BB605 with it's lovely wine red finish.

Haven't played the BB405 but I think the main difference is the Nathan East preamp, which is superb.

It's the best sub 1000$ I have ever played, haven't played alot of 5-strings though.
    Playabality is excellent, sound is even better.
    It's got volume, blend, bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut and a mid cut with midfrequency-knob.
    The mid cut gives it a very jazzy/funky tone (don't know how it will do for other styles)

The B-string,.. all yamaha's I have played had floppy B-strings. I compared it to a Nathan east, a TRB, an RBX and a ?BB2005?. The BB605 had the least floppy B of them. (The shop I tried it only had yamaha's, so I can't really compare with other brands)

conclusion: great bass

greetz,
    Awesome