1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha BB605/BBN5L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plucky, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    hallo!

i was checking out musiciansfriend.com and saw the yamaha bb605, and i like it a lot, but dunno about its sound and playability. but im left handed so i didnt know if i could find it anywhere around here to see how it looks so i also found the bbn5l and i think its pretty much the same as the bb605 or maybe the 405 but lefty and black. so i got some questions i hope you guys can answer:

- they are 'the same'? is the bbn5l the same as the bb605 or bb405? what are the main differences?

- have you ever played one? and how it feels, sounds, plays, etc?

- they have a good b string? (thats important for me cause if its not a good fiver im not switching at all)

danke

2. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I played it last week and I just adore the BB605 with it's lovely wine red finish.

Haven't played the BB405 but I think the main difference is the Nathan East preamp, which is superb.

It's the best sub 1000$ I have ever played, haven't played alot of 5-strings though.
    Playabality is excellent, sound is even better.
    It's got volume, blend, bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut and a mid cut with midfrequency-knob.
    The mid cut gives it a very jazzy/funky tone (don't know how it will do for other styles)

The B-string,.. all yamaha's I have played had floppy B-strings. I compared it to a Nathan east, a TRB, an RBX and a ?BB2005?. The BB605 had the least floppy B of them. (The shop I tried it only had yamaha's, so I can't really compare with other brands)

conclusion: great bass

greetz,
    Awesome