Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BB605, Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass, or ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wing, Jun 17, 2004.

1. wing

wing

Jun 15, 2004
    This is my first post here, and I hope that I am able to get my message across well.

Anyways, I was at my local music shop a week ago, because I am looking for a new bass to replace my Ibanez SRX400, which is "meh" in my opinion, so I had read a lot about the Highway 1 Jazz Bass, and I requested to play it. We jacked it in and I started loving the feel of it from the onset, so bright a tone, so nice to play. It was all gravy, if you know what I mean. Most of all it was so versatile, I could get such a wide range of sounds from it, it was amazing. Plus it was american made, always a nice thing.

I had went there yesterday again, because I wanted to try out the bass again. I think someone bought it because I couldn't find it. Then I saw it: The natural finish Yamaha BB 605, it beckoned me to pick it up. Being of low constitution when it comes to these kind of things, I complied quite readily. Asked for a plug, and we jacked this one into the amp (same amp by the way) and it also sounded REALLY great. I really liked the feel, and I don't know, the 5th string just felt like it gave me so much freedom. It sounded really great for slap which was a definate plus. It sounded great, I loved the natural finish, too. There was a great deal of configurability with the hardware. It was great.

Here is my dilemma though, I've only had limited experience with both of these basses. I do not want to be caught in a rat trap again.

I want to do a lot of funk and jazz type stuff. Some Prog. Rock stuff too, like some Yes, or Rush. Some (Prog.) metal ocassionally (Tool stuff sometimes, or Dream Theater stuff) and some math rock (90 Day Men's album Critical Band leaps out to me here, as well as the band 31knots). Being able to slap it is also a must (Victor Wooten style, I wish :crying: ).

As you can see I have a wide range of things that I want to be able to do, I am putting a lot of thought into what I want to buy. This will be my third guitar. I do not have the extensive experience this forum collectively provides, so I'm turning to you guys. Which guitar do you think will better suit me for what I stated above in the long term? Or is there another guitar that could suit my needs at a price reasonably close to the Fender HW1 JB price ($600)? I'm willing to go to 600-800, if there is a match that you are sure is just PERFECT for what I described, but costs more than that, I am willing to save up.

I'm sorry if these questions seem a little too broad, or naive. I'm just looking for a good bass, so I'm turning to a good community for help.

Thanks in advance.

2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    My main bass is a 604, the 4 string version of the 605.

I have found this bass able to cover most situations including classic rock, funk, and orchestral, and like you said, the slap sound is fantastic.

The Nathen East Pre amp is wonderful. You can shift your tone to cover most situations.

I would go with the Yammy, more options than the jazz.

Matt

3. I play/record many styles of music, so my choice woud be the Fender Highway 1 Jazz bass, it's the most versatile bass IMHO.

Let us know what you decide!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. wing

wing

Jun 15, 2004
    I'm also thinking that the "wowu" factor of playing a 5 string bass is mostly attributed to my lack of experience with them. The B string was also pretty wobbly on the one I played. Still, I think with a some setup I could get it to be good.

The HW1 JB however just felt right, I'm going to head over to the shop and fool around with both basses some more. I will also report back when I do finally make my purchase.

5. wing

wing

Jun 15, 2004
    When I went to the shop and felt up :ninja: both basses, the HW1 JB was the better choice for me, in the long run. I don't believe I would have utilized the low B string. Maybe when I have some money down the line I'll buy a 5 string. But for now this awesome bass will suit me just fine.

6. fenderdaft

fenderdaft

Jul 22, 2011
    i have both a 4 string jazz bass and a 5string yammy 605 i prefer the jazz bass for its crispy no nonsense playing...when i use my yammy bb605 i have to coax the tone out of it...though having said that its a delight to play and sits comfortably on me
    so after a year and a half cant make my mind up between the two lol:hyper::bassist::ninja:

7. miner49er11

miner49er11

Jun 24, 2006
    Jagsonville
    7 yo thread... Thanks for another BB605 endorsement! I'm going with Nordstrand pups and an OBP-3.