Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BB605 - ready to rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mint_Coffee, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    Like I wrote somewhere else, I'm picking up bass playing again, after some years without playing, and I want to buy a mid-priced 5-stringer to start on.

I was considering some other basses around €750, when a friend of mine recomended me a Yamaha bb 605, saying that not only it was a very good bass for very little money (about €425 at Thomann...), but also it was a true multipurpose bass, although built mainly to rock.

I've tried it yesterday, and I found it an OK bass, with a nice tone and feel. I am a bit concerned with the 34'' scale, though, and the effect it could have on the B string - I haven't got the experience to really judge it myself.

All in all, the bb-605 seems like a good cheapo to "re-start" on.

So... anything you would like to share about the BB? Should I invest in something a bit more pricey, or is this bass good enough for me to begin my relearning process on?

Thanks TBers! :bassist:

2. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    [Shameless Bump] ;)

3. I don't think the 34" scale necessarily has to be an issue. Sadowsky makes 34"ers that have a great B string. It depends on build quality and probably varies from bass to bass. Try a few out and see if the B is good.

4. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    I remember reading in another post somewhere, that the 34''/35'' issue was overly exagerated, atleast on more modern basses. The problem was with the cheaper early/mid nineties 5-stringers - I believe this design is from that era, is it not?

[​IMG]

Thanks for your answers B)

5. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    While I dont believe any one bass is made for any one type of music, the yamaha RBX series are more "rock oriented" than the BB series. Either way, I have a BB series yamaha, and its a very versatile intermediate bass with a good tone. Cant go wrong with it.

6. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    And what about the noisy pickups I keep hearing about? Any good remedy for that?

7. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    Sorry to [BUMP] again, but I'm going shopping next week and could really use the info...

Thanks guys!

8. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    How bout a ibanez srx... my friend plays one and they are really versitle and theyre like 600 euro or sumic like that... or a MIM jazz 5

9. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    I've tried a SRX, and I don't like the narrow spacing. As for the MIM Jazz V, for that price I would rather buy a TRB1005 - had a J fender, don't want another.

10. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Tell me where I can buy a Sad 5er for 750 euros, and I'll buy five:p

11. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I disagree with you. For example, Michael Anthony plays a BB Yamaha, and I consider him quite "rock". Like myself;)

12. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    So... I guess the BB605 is a good choice. But what about the noisy pick-ups? any info?

13. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I have one of these basses.
    Regarding the noise issue - it is not too bad.
    The noise problem comes in when you select 95-100% either the neck or the bridge pickup. The bass is silent in the middle and maintains this silence at approximately 60-70% in either direction, then the noise level seems to rise at a geometric rate. At full neck or bridge position, the buzz seems to be at a moderately pitched hum and enough to make you want to back off of this p/u position.

The bass seems to sound best in the middle.

Of course comments like 'moderately pitched hum' and where the bass sounds best are all subjective terms. I dont have and scientific equiptment to objectively test noise levels and my opinions are just that - so take these comments with a grain of salt.

To sum up - I like the bass, I like the sound,and although Im growing out of it at the moment, I plan to keep it. The finish is solid and it keeps tune. It should be cheap enough to allow you to buy a nice bass amp whiule giving you a bass of enough quality to keep you from outgrowing it too fast. Furthermore, the bass is 'standard' enough to allow you to determine what style of bass suits you best when you do decide to purchase another bass.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Just because he plays one doesn't mean the RBX's aren't designed for rock. Nathan East uses BB style basses too. RBX basses are rock basses that can be used for various applications -- whether or not someone uses a bass for rock doesn't mean it's not a versatile instrument or that another bass isn't more naturally suited for rock.

That said, I really, really enjoy Yamaha basses. I've got a BB404F, which I think has the same pickups as the 604 (might not) just without the EQ. Noise comes in when you start to really unbalance the pickups (2-10, 5-8) if the tone knob is very high. One of my main fingerstyle settings on my Yamaha fretless is 6-10-6 (V/V/T) and I get almost no noise because the treble cut for the tone knob seems to be close to the frequency of the interference. I also only get noise when I practice near my computer and TV. In any case, Yamaha basses are generally very much quality products, and the 605 is no exception.

15. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    Thanks for the input, guys! I really think that this is the bass for me - at the moment, obviously :D ! Guess I'm going shopping next monday...

16. I'm very keen on Yamaha's too, the BB605 is one of the few basses they have in my guitar-focussed local shop, and I tried it not so long ago and was very keen on it, though I'm not an experienced five string user the B was great and didn't seem flimsy at all and I agree that you could use it for all sorts of different styles, be it rock, jazz, whatever. I found it, like all Yamaha's i've tried, very comfortable, very nice looking and great, versatile sounding, and afterwards I certainly wanted to get it for the great prices they go for, so I would say go for it!

17. Judge

Judge

Mar 26, 2004
    Dubai
    Bought my BB605 in Feb this year and I've found it to be excellent. No problems with the B string and a good range of tones. First five stringer that I've ever had and I'm very pleased. Personally with the settings I've used on the bass I can't say I've noticed much in the way of any particular extraneous noise coming from the pick ups.

Overall, I think you'll find the BB605 excellent value for the money. Incidentally one of the reasons I opted for this bass was the flat neck, which I find a dream to play.

Commit and enjoy!

18. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    BTW... The shop says that they'll sell me a BAS-91 Yamaha case with the bass. But I can't seem to find any info on it. Anyone?

19. Mint_Coffee

Mint_Coffee

Mar 29, 2004
    Portugal
    Well... it seems that the BAS-91 is the old discontinued case by yamaha. They seem to have a new line of cases. I don't know about the new ones, but a friend told me that the old ones were pretty good and solid, though very, very ugly. :\ Oh well...