Yamaha BB614. Anyone has experience with / opinions on this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicfreak1988, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Taste may differ, but overall, I like its looks. I'd like to know if anyone has this bass, or has tested it, or something like that. Yeah, I know, I'm supposed to go to the store myself, but here in Belgium they don't have that much Yamaha basses in stock, and I'm a lefty, so going to the store and test the bass is no option for me. Thanks in advance. Sam.
  2. Bassocksky

Aug 25, 2004
    Koeln, Germany
    I checked out the 614/615 today (along with the 414/415 series).

I compared it to my other BB-Yamahas: two BB1000MA and an old BB1600.

Pros: well made, no complains. Yamaha offers very good basses for the money. The new BB series seem to point to the Rock-oriented market. A lot of P-like sounds, good playability, well balanced. The BB's are not for "solistic" players but for band playing.

I'd prefer the passive ones, not the active 6xx series!

Cons: the neck is IMHO too thin for a rock bass, the active EQ is, whew, lets say, doing the job, but not more. The knobs of the 4xx-series are made of cheap plastic.

For me, the best of the BB's was the passive BB415, neck is thicker, good string spacing, acceptable 5'th string.

But :spit: they are _nothing_ compared to the BB1000MA !!

Get one of the BB1000MA if possible! More punch, more character, more dirt.
  3. I've been looking at the BB 415.I had a BB 2000 a few years ago and sold it because I'm a 5 string player and wasn't using it for gigs.Is the tone of the 415 close to your BB 1600?I loved the tone of the 2000 and was hoping these new ones sounded close since they use the same pickups.
  4. Bassocksky

Aug 25, 2004
    Koeln, Germany
    No. :cool:

The sound of the 415 is somewhere between the BB1000MA and the BB1600. The BB1600 has more distinguished all-style sound and less output. With the J-Pickup you can get a very close Jazz bass, and all in all it's not in particular a bass for rock oriented styles.

If you need a backup, the 415 can be a useful choice. For beginners and intermediates too.

But have in mind, that the Low B string isn't very well defined.
    If you have a more powerful finger style, perhaps basses with a 35" neck would fit your needs more.

But again: for this price, this new BB series is IMHO a very good choice.