Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BB614 - Will it do the job for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nosedivekarma, Jul 1, 2005.

1. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I'm thinking of getting my first bass and really like the look of the BB614. I want it to practice at home but also that would potentially be OK for a gig. The style of music I want to play is slow, heavy, overdriven, sludgy metal. So I want something that's solidly built with a reasonably heavy sound rather than versatile in tone. I'm prepared to spend upto £500 (which unfortunately comes to around $500 with inflation of bass prices in Britain). Any advice?

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    They sound too good,the price is very good too,this bass have quality and this bass may cost around $800 but Yamaha have the best prices in the market and they have awesome instruments.

3. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    I too think the BB614 would be an excellent choice. Very well made, reasonably priced, and excellent sound. You might want to check out the Ibanez SRX models as well; they have very high output pickups suitable for skull crushing music.

4. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I have been recommended an Ibanez SRX but (for some reason) think that the Yamaha's might be more sturdy. Am I on the right track?

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)

I've owned 3 Yamahas and all of them were as sturdy as a rock.

I've personally tested the BB614 at my local Yamaha dealer. I'm planning to get myself one.