Yamaha BB735 Bridge Guidance

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by comradehoser, May 30, 2020.

  1. Soooo.... Was hanging instruments off a plank of walnut into a plaster and lath wall, and when I put the BB735 on it (along with some other stuff) the anchors pulled out of the wall, and down went the bass between the wall and a sideboard. The bridge I think caught the impact because I noticed the other day that it's higher at the b string. No other damage at all, thankfully, although I had to get out the glue for my daughter's Epi Les Paul tone knob.

    After some searching, I can't find anywhere that supplies the bridge. It's pretty nice, though. Should I:

    a) take off the bridge and bend it back into shape with some cloth-covered pliers after screwing it into a 2x4 or something
    b) talk to Chuck Levin's, my local music shop, about ordering a replacement from Yamaha
    c) order direct from Yamaha (could not see how)
    d) purchase and install a replacement from a 3rd party company like hipshot
  2. sissy kathy

    sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Here's how I see it.
    a) I don't think it will work. When you bend it back into shape it is as likely to break as bend. In Sweetwater's listing the bridge is listed as a steel plate with brass saddles; if it is in fact a steel plate you should be able to bend it back into shape. I'm a skeptic.

    b.) Isn't going to be cheap, but is probably your second best of the options you listed. Wait time could try your patience.

    c.) You can try this, but you have to navigate Yamaha's website. They make that cumbersome and frustrating. You'll find you have to do three or four separate operations, so have a paper and pencil handy. This site will try your patience. It's frustrating to the point of making Job cuss.

    d.) Probably your best option. Unless a) works.
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    comradehoser likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

    sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Pointers for multiple wall mounting of instruments.
    1) Cut 1 x 6 wood into lengths that fit on your walls.
    2) Decide how high you want the instruments mounted and mark one inch above where the nut(s) will be.
    3) Using a level draw a continuous line around the room where you expect to mount them.
    4) Use a stud finder to locate the studs in the room. Lacking a stud finder either borrow/buy one OR using a small drill bit (1/16) start drilling on that line every 1 1/4. when you are not on a stud the bit will go through the plaster, then the lathing. After that there will be nothing there so the bit will go completely in. Move on. When you hit a stud the bit will not bottom out, it will start drilling. Stop and poll the drill out MARK THAT HOLE. Continue drilling along until you have tested the entire line.
    5) Mark those holes with tape 3 inches higher so you know where they are
    6) Place the 1 x 6 over all those holes but below the tape and using 3 1/2 inch bugle head screws attach the wood to the studs (not the lathing) you are securing the lumber to the frame of the house. once you have a screw in every stud the wood covers you are finished with the hard part.
    7) Finish the wood to your liking and attach hangers anywhere along the length you like. That will support more weight than you will ever hang on it.
  4. Thank you very much sissy kathy!

    I went with option 1 since it was the easiest, and it worked a treat. Bent everything back square using some angled pliers which turned out to be exactly the right size to grip under the corner of the 90deg bend in the back of the bridge. The bridge seems to be fairly mild steel, it was definitely malleable, and didn't show any signs of metal fatigue--at least under the anodization or whatever is Yamaha's finish. I forgot to take a before pic. This is when I started taking the screws out.

    Once I put everything back together, and redid the intonation and string height because I forgot to keep everything organized, I found out that the bass actually sounds better than before! The B string is much more resonant, anyway.

    As for the hangers, I sanded down a big slab of walnut, and mounted the hangers to that, then tried to mount the slab to the wall. I actually assumed it was drywall at first and used drywall anchors, which just pulled right out. The builders mounted the lath to sheets of 1/8" plywood masking the studs, so the soundings idea would have been a good one, but the studfinder and tap technique were no-gos. Anyway, after it fell down, instead of going with drywall anchors, I just shot 2.5" deck screws through the slab and into the plywood and at least one stud, and so far it's all good.

    IMG_20200531_115813210_HDR.jpg IMG_20200531_203521205.jpg
    sissy kathy likes this.