Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BBG5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zanthrax, Jan 2, 2001.

1. I'm a satisfied owner of a Yamaha BBG4II but it lacks one thing... Low B... Everytime I've tested a 5-string I've had problems adapting to the "extra string". Problem: I need the lower tones...

Recently I got the chance to test a Yamaha BBG5 for one song and wow what a feeling! It was like playing my own bass with an extra string. I had no problems to adapt to that 5-string. So now I'm think about trading in my 4-string for that 5-string. What can you tell me about that bass??? I'v read some reviews and they were all very positive but I'd like to have more opinions.

2. SFB

SFB Guest

I own a BBG5SII.I'm no Jaco or Geddy Lee but I think it
    sounds and plays great.I use flat wound strings and get lows
    so low your toenails rattle.I have two other basses(check
    my profile)that I like also.If you can afford to you need to
    try and keep your four string.You will regret getting rid of
    it.My very first bass a Hofner look alike I sold some 30 years ago.I wish I had it back.If you go ahead and get the
    five string let me know how you like it.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you just need the lower tones, and wouldn't mind losing the G string, there's always the option of stringing your four-string BEAD. A little nut-and-saddle-filing, and increase in string gague, and you don't have to buy a 5-string.

I would personally recommend getting the 5-string, though. Then you will have the G as well! :) It may take a while to get used to, but it's worth the effort.

Is the BBG4II your first bass? Don't trade it. NEVER get rid of your first bass.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don´t have Yamaha BBG5, but I´ve tried The_Bass´s bass, and I love it!

5. I own a Yamaha BBG5 as phreaky said... and I love it! :D

and like you said it´s easy to adapt... maybe it´s just me but I think I had never played a 5-string when I got that bass and I could play it right away... no problem... :)

the only thing is that I´ve had to change the screws in the strap buttons... but that´s not too much of a problem with a good glue and 2 screws... :)

anyway, I reccomend it to everyone! :D