Yamaha BBG5A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Mar 17, 2001.

1. I just bought one. Second hand but mint. I paid 400 dollars for it. Seems worth it...for an active bass. Better build than MIM Fenders or washburn XB400 and cheaper.

I wanted it as a high 5, and have strung it accordingly. It has a good neck, and a fine sound for such a cheap active bass.

But I can find nothing about this model on the web. It seems not to exist. Is it the active version of the BBG5S?
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It seems to me your bass is an active version of BBG5.

Yamaha.com says it's a upgraded version to BBN5 tho, so I think they have dropped the passive BBG's(the ones with painted fake quilted maple top), and now BBN is the cheapest BB.

So the new BB-line from cheapest to most expensive would go BBN, BBGa(/s), BBNa.

I think easiest is to look at finishes, BBN has black or natural finish; old BBG had fake quilted top; BBGa(/s) has 4 colors from white to violin sunburst; and BBNa has real quilted maple top in burst colors and block inlays on fingerboard.

3. now, that´s alot of B´s :D

but I have no idea about the initial question... but I have a passive Yamaha BBG5 though... :)
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, and it also was excellent stretching exercise for my left hand, just imagine typing all those shift+bs and shift+ns with my fretting hand when I wrote that :cool:
  5. Other research on my part suggests it is the active version...thanks for all your B's...
  6. I believe that the BBG5S is the active version of the BBG5. someone might have already stated that, but the B's, the G's and the N's are all confusing the hell out of me... Why can't they just be like Fender and give the basses names instead of numbersa & codes?