Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BBG5A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 14, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thanks to my new found love of Yamaha Basses recently, Ive been offered one of these :

[​IMG]

(only in an amber burst color) for $500AUS ($334US)

Im going to get it, if only i had the money :(. Im going to try and sell my Ashton for $200-$300

Its brand new, Active 4 Band preamp, huge slab of quilted maple as the top (i think its quilted maple), and a very nice B string. 24 Frets, Alder body,

Can you guys give me any reviews of it, or tell me what you though of one if you have played one?

Thanks
    -Kirbo

PS the reason i can get it so cheap, is that im close mates with the owner of a music shop that stocks Yamaha ;)

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have a BBG5S, which is the same bass in different colors. Tere are a few things you need to know.

the Bad

You aren't getting that great a deal. I see those going for around $200 US all the time on ebay.

The electronics are usually noisy, I pulled everything with a wire, and threw it in the trash can. I replaced them with an EMG setup with great results. Also, it's a 2 band, not a band.

The good news:
    Great looking bass, the amber burst is nice, but that picture is incredible.

Also, it has a good B string, no complaints about the neck at all.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have the exact bass in your picture - same color and everything. It is a great playing, great sounding, well built bass, with a decent B string (very good for 34" scale). I used to have a passive one in the amber burst, an awsome color.

I've used the BBG5A on many gigs, and it has always sounded great. My main bass is a Lakland with TI Flats on it, but I keep the Yamaha strung with roundwounds for when I need that sound.

Here's mine:[​IMG]

4. hey tuBass, what EMG pickup did you use for the replacement? Do they fit into the pickup cavities OK?

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    well, I picked the EMG 45DC, which are the closest I could get to fitting in the over sized yamaha cavity, which is 4.75" across, So I have 1/8th of an inch of black cavity on each side of the pickups, which isn't too bad because it's a black bass, and a black cavity with black pickups. You have to really look to see any gap there at all.
    They sound great, but I am thinking of trying a 45p in the neck postion, to go for more of a p-bass sound. I would be interested to hear from anybody that has a/b'ed the dc series and the p series from EMG.

for more info, follow this link

6. I see. Thanks. I was thinking about dropping EMG replacemnt on mine too, but mine is in violin- burst finish....see, it's not like I'm not pleased with the stock Yamaha pickups, but if the changes makes significant improvment, then I think I'll go for it even if there'll be cosemtic flaw. In you opinion do you think it is worthed?

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I would only do it if you are also willing to gut the pre amp, which I think was causing most of the noise. I think there was more than a significant improvement in the sound, and the bass is as dead quiet now, even in my church with ancient wiring and florescent lights.

8. I've already gutted the preamp out and wire everything passive inside. Quite happy with the result, as I also added a seies/parallel switch to it. The only little annoying part now is as you said - noise from the pickup when play under florescent light or near the computer. Are those EMG pickups active as well?

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    There active in that they need a battery for the pickups, not the preamp. I have them wired or 18V, and there great.

Mark

10. I have a bbg5a too, in aquamarine colors.
    One thing I hate about it is it doesn't stay tuned very long! the tuners are too sensitive.

I like the bass though, it's comfortable and does it's job. Can compare ok with the mid-priced basses (600-800$) from other companies. Yamaha rules, my dad's with me, he loves their motorbikes :)

11. I've had one too, except the colour was different, I liked it a lot, it costed 450 euros (about 450 US dollars)
    I sold it to buy a Fender Marcus Miller Sig., because I'm really more a 4 string/Fender player.
    The sound was very good, and it played very good (low action) the "B" was better than on most basses that I tried that cost twice as much.

12. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Bad electrics hey? When i played it in the shop (through a Warwick Sweet 15) it sounded perfefct. Not alot of low end, but nothing that a bit of knob-fiddling with couldnt handle.

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mine sounds great, too. I've never had a problem with noise, and I think the pickups and electronics sound very good. I guess everyone has a different idea of what sounds good, though. I've never liked EMG pickups because I think they are kind of cold and sterile sounding, but obviously there are a lot of EMG fans out there.

14. I agree with Showdown, nothing wrong with the electrics! No hiss, no buzz nothing...except me playing:D