1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BBG5S:first 5er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Based on all the positive reviews, I got a used but in great shape BBG5S. Seems to have belonged to Skinny Bishop.

It was gigged but is in great shape, just a bit of mojo.

I would like to know if anyone owns or has owned this bass and what kind of advice you could give me.

I am a little lost but it's going to come Fast. At least I am glad I do not have to stretch my fingers like crazy in the low frets (that's low as in 1st to 4th fret), I am starting to use the B string a bit more.

What type of gear do you recommend to handle the low frequencies of the B string? My old Peavey will not handle it, it just gives a boooooooooph! type of sound, and my Pandora does not seem to be able to handle that type of low sound.

I have a Crate Powerblock as well but currently no cab, I am also waiting for the right opportunity. Would a 210 be able to give a good sound?

I am also not used to the active electronics. I used to have a Hohner BA2 but at least you could turn off the pre-amp or run out of battery and still be able to play. What setting do you recommend?

Thanks for the help!

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I had a BBG5. Great bass.
    A 210 or good 115 would do it. There are a ton of options...
    I'm getting a great 5 string sound out of a Genz Benz NeoPak and a BFM Omni 10.

Have fun!