1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha BBG5S, upgrades?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Levin, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Hi!
    A friend of mine let me play his Yamaha 5-string, and I loved it and plan to try to buy it from him, the only thing I didn't love was the... kind of, I don't know, ''cheap'' sound it had? I mean, it played wonderfully and all, but I'm not content at all with the pickups or electronics I guess. Any suggestions what could be made? Read something here about switching the pickups to EMG..

2. Problem with Yammies is that their pups are non-standard size. You'll get 3rd party pups the correct width, but not the correct length, they'll always be a bit short. If you don't mind a few mm empty space each end of the pup, then you'r ok.

I modded my BBG5 by substituting the single coil soapbars for the humbuckers off an RBX375 which are a perfect fit & give a thicker sound. I found someone who wanted to swap and we're both happy.

Of course, a change of pre could also reap dividends. A 4 pot John East in there would be excellent, but I tend to plug into an MXR-80+ which gives me a Mids control.

G.

3. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Thank you very much!!
    I'm planning to buy this one from my friend in a year or two maybe, then I can do that to! Have an old RBX375 that I do not longer use as my main bass... ;)
    Thanks once again, a great idea! Even tho' the BBG5S is a bit wide between the strings for me, but you get used to it I guess.

4. Yes, when I first played the BBG5S I found the strings a bit wide, and I found the width of the fretboard a real challenge, as my other bass is a BB415 (with John East) which has a Jazz-style (very narrow) fretboard.

However I adjusted very quickly and with a set of Chromes, this quickly became my number one bass.

I now find the pre-amp quite adequate.

Good luck with your project.

G.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas