yamaha bbg5s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninevoltbass, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Im considering a yamaha bbg5s purchase. I would like to get your comments and suggestions before I buy the bass.

They say its the Lowest-priced active pickup 5-string bass available with Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, gold hardware. It has 2 humbucking pickups with active tone circuitry.
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a BBG5A (I'm not sure what the difference is, but I know it is minor). It has everything you mentioned. It is a really nice, well made bass, plays well and sounds great. I recommend it, a really nice bass for the price.

This is me playing it. I've used it on many, many gigs and never had a problem, and it always sounds great.

3. I've never owned one, but after expensive playing of anything in that price range when I was looking for a 5er that bass was my number one choice. Then I decided I was going to stay with four strings so I didn't get it. Seemed like a great bass to me for the money.
  4. I have a BBN5II. As far as I can tell, the only differences are the finish (most of the G models were painted) and I'm 99% sure the Gs were active while the Ns were passive. As far as sound goes mine sounds great. Lots of growl and these are the stock pickups. This bass is very comfortable to play and it has a very Fender-like feel to it. I would say it's about the best bass you can get for $500 or less, and it just might beat out some basses that are priced slightly higher.

I give it a big thumbs up. :)

5. Thanks a lot for the advises fellow lowriders:D

To tell you the truth, i bought the bass for a year now, i just wanted to know your comments on the bass. I really love that bass, it really growls, it has that sound that really commands the lower freqs.

I bought mine at musiciansfriend and my mom had to disassemble it and brought it back here. It has a black finish, just like the one with showdowns pic.

A good bass is very hard to find here, there are very few music stores and most of it offers crap instruments.

Theres one thing i would like to change though, I saw one with a orange sunburst finish and it made me cry to see such beauty.:p
  6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to have one of those, too, except it was passive with J-style pickups. I'm kinda sorry I sold it.

7. yep...thats the one..but the one i saw had active electronics in it. why did you sell it showdown?

And to think that the one playing it was a newbie bass player. You seem to be in to yamaha products. Mind if i ask what kind of music your band plays?

8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Not to be confused with BBN5A, the higher-end Yamaha! BB2005 has already replaced the BBN5A though, they run around 1200 bucks.

I owned a BBG5S, I have understood the only difference to BBG5A is the colour - on A models it is "translucent" photo-flame in either amber, aquamarine or red. They look very impressive. On BBG5S, the colors were solid, but usually somekind of special like metallic, sunburst or something.

The more inexpensive passive model was BBN5. They have been replaced by BB405, as BB605 has replaced BBG5A and S.
  9. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I sold it because I had been using my Lakland 55-01 and never played it anymore. I had a choice between keeping the orange sunburst one or the BBG5A as a backup to the Lakland, so I chose to keep the active one because it sounds better.

I do like Yamaha basses a lot. I used to have a fretless 4 string that sounded great, too. The main reason I play the Lakland instead is because I sometimes suffer from pain in my left hand, due to tendonitus, I think, and the thinner neck on the Lakland doesn't cause as much pain.

My band plays new country and southern rock. Check out our web page (link below)...
  10. hmmmm I had a BBN5II , and its kinda a real players bass, but i thought it sounded a little wooley, ad the B string was kinda floppy. But for the money it was pretty good, also check out the electronics, on mine there was no cavity shielding so twas noisey.
  11. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have one, and was never ncredibly happy with the tone or the noise. Not a terrble bass, but it seemed cheap after a while.

I made some major upgrades in the electronics that I have been very happy with, they fixed every flaw I thought the bass had.

here's a link with the information about my upgrades

Have fun with your yamaha, If you got it for less than $300, it's an incredible bargain! It's got a nice B on it, and the neck is pretty stable. With the new electronics, it has a sound similar to a modulus with a wood neck, or maybe a lakland 55-01. I would compare it to both of those, but if I had to do it all over again I would get the lakland instead of buying the yamaha and then upgrading it.
  12. studio848

studio848 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    excellent bass - fantastic neck. yamaha quality. can't go wrong at the price point...
  13. wbgorex

Nov 3, 2013
    Noise turned out to be coming from the humbuckers. Winding was one coil for the G/D strings and another for the BEA. We speculated that mismatch was the reason for the noise. Now its got Fender J bass single coil pickups in and the preamp removed. With both pickups up full, no noise at all.
    The bass itself sounds great. Really strong, throaty B string down low. Butt ugly lake placid blue, but sound comes first. I'm going to try Barolini J bass American standerd, dual coil, which should allow panning with no noise. IF that works, I'll probably reinstall a preamp, this time Bartolini.
    But I do know the wood, bolt on neck, fingerboard, everything non-electric is producing a great sound.
    Oh, and that bass through a Mark Bass amp is the ****.
  14. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Actually, there are a lot of 5 string P basses with that same "mismatch" that have no problems. Those are essentially P pickups.

I had a BBG5S for 15 years and it was never noisy.