Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BBN4 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, May 30, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hello guys. I just ordered a Yamaha BBN4F which is a fretless version from Musician's Friend. It was kinda an impulse buy. It was on sale for 249.00 and since my plans for a Lakland Skyline or MTD Heir + Preamp were shot by circumstances uncontrollable by me I decided to go ahead and get it. If I don't like it I can always sell it. But I do like the Yamaha basses, the other day I played a friend's BBG4 and I liked the feel of the bass and a fretless will give me a distinctive sound. I'm going to Florida this weekend and I return Tuesday, so it should be here by then. I hope I can enjoy my vacation knowing that my bass is waiting on me. A cure for a long bout with GAS.

Dirk

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    cool beans! :D Is it the "newer" BBN4F with soapbar pups?

3. I love mine. A real tone machine for the money. I keep mine strung with flatwound for the upright sound. You can't beat it for the $$$

4. That's a pretty good deal, Dirk. I like anything Yamaha makes. I have the 5 string version of that bass, and I think you're really going to like the sound. It has a very growly low mid range tone. I have played your model, but, the fretted one. A lot of people like Yamaha, but, just as many overlook them. They are about the best instruments on the market as far as price value ratio goes, IMHO.

Good luck with it.
    Mike J.

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I played one a few weks ago and although it was the first fretless i have ever played, it was good and is now in my GAS pile ;) :D

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I don't know how many more are left, but if you want to satisfy your GAS at a good price visit Musician's Friend. I can't wait for it to be here. I'm going to Florida tomorrow, so I hope it will be waiting on me upon my return.

Glad to hear it has a good low, mid-range growl. Just the sound I'm looking for... Don't know what strings I'm gonna use yet. I might want to slap on it too, and I don't think you can use flat-wounds for slapping, but I don't want to ruin the fingerboard.

Dirk

7. Bass Player did a shootout on fretless basses under $500, and the Yamie was their pick for allround best. I've got a 5 string fretted, with TI Jazz Flats and a J-retro preamp, and it stands up against any bass I've ever come across IMO, and I've played Alembics, a Sadowsky, Pedullas, Modulus,etc. (it helps that I work in a music gear shop....hee, hee)

8. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, I just got home about 30 minutes ago and tore into the bass. I'm kinda tired so I haven't had a lot of time to really get a good review for it. It was decently set-up out of the box. I like the feel of the bass, the hardware is nice, the finish is excellent, it's natural w/ a satin finish. It has roundwound strings on it right now, and I think I'm going to keep roundwounds on there b/c I like the slap tone on this think and I don't think I can get it w/ flats. I've only played it plugged in for a short time and it sounds good to me. It has a good Mwahh. I'll post a more detailed review in a couple of days after the excitement dies down and I can really evaluate the bass.

Dirk

9. I have one of the last (there were 8 left when I called) Musicians Friend closeout BBN4F's coming today via UPS. I almost bought a souped-up one (Seymour Duncan replacement bridge pickup and 3-band EQ) from a private seller last week, but then wasn't sure I'd have the $ in time and didn't want to hold him up. Then the next day, I sold a preamp and found the MF closeout in the space of about 5 minutes. . .

I think the stock passive BBN4F will have the sound I'm seeking. I own a fretless G&L L-2000, which has a very, very bright, mwaaaahhhh-filled sound, and I'm hoping this will be mellower, just for contrast; I'll probably put either flats or tapewound strings on it.

I'll post a review later, assuming UPS delivers the bass on time!

10. Alright!
    Dirk, enjoy that bass! Tell us how you like the sound of the pups.
    Jsonnenblick, enjoy your's when you get it.

It does my heart good to see the ranks of the Yamaha fans increase.

Mike J.

11. Got the BBN4F today, and it is a "mmmwwwaaaahhhh" factory!

The setup was initially a little high, but I lowered the bridge saddles substantially, and now the bass plays superbly. The neck is dead level and very comfy for Fender fans. The body is really lightweight, which is a plus. Also, the nut is cut perfectly, which is key for a fretless, IME.

The one bummer is that the body is made of FOUR pieces of unmatched alder; I just assumed it would be 2 or 3 matched pieces on a bass with a satin natural finish.

Oh, well -- I still kind of like the "Eagle Scout Project" look of this bass. . .

:D

Soundwise, the Yamaha actually has more mmmwwwaaaahhh than my G&L, I think because it's midrangier-sounding. But the G&L has more bottom and punch. I'll be interested in hearing the blend between the Yamaha and other instruments.

For now, I'll just go downstairs and play it some more!